Author Topic: Don't you just hate it when....  (Read 13173 times)

oogyda

Don't you just hate it when....
« on: December 06, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Your last load of laundry is half way through the cycle and you discover that one, lonely, little, dirty sock somehow escaped the laundry basket?

It's not a big deal, as I certainly have enough socks (some identical to the escapee) to wear until I do laundry again, but it does make the job seem incomplete. 

Okay, I'm not sure where I think this thread should go....add your thoughts.

Edited to add a word.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:33:36 PM by oogyda »
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Amava

Re: Don't you just hate it when....
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 11:12:57 AM »
Yesterday night same thing happened to me but with dishes. Finding a dirty dish (in this case a skillet) when you have /just/ finished and put away all the dishes and scrubbed and dried the sink, a job well done.

(I do dishes by hand a lot lately to save electricity, though I have a dishwasher).

Ah well, I just plopped the skillet in said dishwasher and I'll wash it up tonight with the rest of today's dishes, but it bothered me for a moment!

Oh, and when I have /just/ taken off my shoes and slipped into my comfy house slippers, and then discover I have forgotten a little chore that involves going outside. (My house slippers are as fluffy as the garden is muddy, so walking outside in them is no option! XD )

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
... I get home from work, go upstairs, change into loungey clothes and slippers, come back downstairs, and discover that there is no beer.
Words mean things.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 11:56:45 AM »
... I get home from work, go upstairs, change into loungey clothes and slippers, come back downstairs, and discover that there is no beer.

And that's when I put beer on my shopping list and pull out a bottle of wine, instead.   :D

I'm like oogyda - except what I forget to throw in are the things in the kitchen.  The hot pads, the tea towel, the dish cloths and my lunch bag.  Which isn't quite enough for a full load.  And I only do laundry every couple of weeks.

Amava, I've read that if you fill your dishwasher, it saves water and energy over doing dishes by hand.  Even if you have a gas water heater, it still uses electricity plus a lot of electricity is used for the production of drinking water so saving on the water also saves on the electricity used, all be it not electricity you are paying for directly.  Although it might have been a study produced by dishwater manufacturers.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:54:56 PM »
I'll pod everything above, and add that I hate it when I'm relaxing in a bubble bath, and realize I've forgotten a washcloth...which means that I need to slop soapy water all over the floor and ginto the hallway linen closet to get one. Ugh.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Shalamar

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
I hate it when I come home exhausted from a major grocery run, and one of my daughters says "Oh, by the way, we're out of (blah).  Did you get any?"

turtleIScream

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 01:08:28 PM »
I hate it when I come home exhausted from a major grocery run, and one of my daughters says "Oh, by the way, we're out of (blah).  Did you get any?"

My daughter is moonlighting as a member of your family?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
When you spend a bunch at a store only to come home and find a coupon or more in the mail and email that you could have used at the store you were just in, only now you can't find the receipt and they'll only honor it with the original receipt.  Gah!

I spent over $200 in Target yesterday and got home to find an email "Get a $10 gift card when you spend $50!" Though the coupons were for stuff I didn't get anyway, but today I got a little circular with coupons. I KNEW I should have waited till tomorrow to shop!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »
Not as domestic, but when you're playing an online game that relies on social interaction, and you add a "daily player". Then they just stop playing entirely.

And I'll POD to the laundry one - I'm always finding that I left one thing out.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »
I almost always miss a utensil when washing dishes.  DH calls it "leaving a seed fork," and I believe he's right.  The sink always grows a new crop of things, right where I've left it.

lilfox

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
I always miss one thing when I pack for a trip.  Now that I pack for DD too, I can miss two things.  So now every trip I (or we) take, I spend the first half hour in the car mentally reviewing the packing and am not able to relax until i figure out what I forgot.

Lists don't work.  Reminding myself "don't forget X!" doesnt work.  Mentally reviewing before we leave the house doesn't work.  The missing item only comes to mind when we have passed the point of no return.

Fortunately I'm so used to it by now that once I actually figure out what's missing, I feel much better and can go on to other things.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
...I get all snuggled into bed and then remember I forgot to grab my phone (I use it for my alarm).  Bonus yuck if I can't seem to recall where I left it.

See also: forgetting to turn off my alarm when on vacation.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
I always miss one thing when I pack for a trip.  Now that I pack for DD too, I can miss two things.  So now every trip I (or we) take, I spend the first half hour in the car mentally reviewing the packing and am not able to relax until i figure out what I forgot.

Lists don't work.  Reminding myself "don't forget X!" doesnt work.  Mentally reviewing before we leave the house doesn't work.  The missing item only comes to mind when we have passed the point of no return.

Fortunately I'm so used to it by now that once I actually figure out what's missing, I feel much better and can go on to other things.

We've finally given up. As long as we have drivers' licenses, medications, money, credit cards, telephones, iPad, and glasses, we are good to go. Everything else can be purchased with little hassel. Most of that stuff is in purses and wallets anyway. Well, there was the time we missed White Doggie - that was a weekend to remember! (or try to forget)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
I hate it when it's 6PM, I'm starving but too tired to bother cooking anything and just finished hanging on the fridge door stuffing my face with that boring old half a bologna sandwich left from lunch, a piece of cheese, half a can of soda water and the left over cold baked potato piece smeared with butter... and my husband comes in saying, "I thought you might like to go to the Chinese place for dinner tonight."    Now you ask me!!!!
You know what?  I go anyway, order lots of stuff, eat little and have a ton of goodies to rummage the fridge for tomorrow.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »
People say "How is it you can remember the whole script for that movie but you can't remember where you put your keys the last time you used them?"  I have no idea!! I don't even know why that is, it just happens!  It's not like it's a deliberate thing.   

Same with when people say "If you didn't remember it, it can't have been that important to you!" wrong. I even forget things that ARE important to me.  I have a good long term memory and a lousy short term one. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata