Author Topic: Don't you just hate it when....  (Read 14230 times)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
Re: Don't you just hate it when....
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2012, 01:27:53 AM »
I will sit in one place using scotch tape or a calculator, and set it down. When I need it not 5 minutes later, it has disappeared!

Off-topic

When I realize, when a book comes out that's based on a movie, that I've been mispronouncing one of the main characters names for years.   Hermione is the best example.  I was pronouncing it "Herm-oh-inn" and wondering what kind of a name that was for a girl.

Yeah, it sounds much better as Hermi-onee.

My cousin spells her name "Hermione", but is pronounced "her mean", with the accent on the 2nd syllable.

One of my friends who works in the school chapel has that happen with his lighters for the candles. Drives him up the wall sometimes.

Vita brevis, ars longa

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
POD to just about all the above posts!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2012, 01:58:49 PM »
Did laundry yesterday and remembered to put all my kitchen stuff in - towels, hot pads, dishcloths, etc.  But forgot my lunch bag AGAIN.  Arrrrggghhhh!
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

MrTango

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
^I just don't get how the prices can be so far apart.  I experienced it in California when I was visiting my friends, too.  Here, the price per litre might vary a cent or two, depending on whether or not it is one of the big 3 or if it is a discount type chain.  (Unless you get your gas at Costco.  It's usually up to 5 cents cheaper.  But after having to get my car fixed after Costco gas, I no longer use them.)

5 cents/liter is just under 20 cents/gallon.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2012, 03:02:03 PM »
Yes, I realize that.  But Costco is a very specific station that doesn't advertise their prices the same way.  And you have to be a member to get gas there.

If there is a line of stations (Shell, Petro-Can, Esso), they are rarely different prices.  The discount ones (Pioneer, Ultramar and a few others) are rarely more than half a cent cheaper than the big three.  (Used to be the big four until Petro and Sunoco merged.)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
And I just did the typical "forgot a piece of laundry" just now!

We went to a Christmas event last night where the kids got to wear their jammies. On the way there, I had them wear sweatpants over the jammies, which got muddy. I just stuffed the pants into the backpack I was carrying and, as we got home late, left the pack on the stairs where I'd be sure to nearly trip over it when I went downstairs to do laundry this morning.

Guess what I pushed aside with my foot while bringing down the dirty clothes? ::)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2012, 03:34:40 PM »
I've got a few friends who pass on hand-me-down kids' clothing, so this fall I went digging through the back of Babybartfast's closet to see whether we had any long-sleeve 4T clothes.  And I discovered a HUGE tub of 3T-4T summer stuff I didn't know was there  :-[  I spent all summer dithering over whether I should go out and buy Babybartfast more clothes - I usually have plenty just from hand-me-downs, but for some reason we were always running out of tank tops and shorts.  Now I know why  :-[  At least I can put it away (labeled correctly this time!) and pull it out when Bittybartfast gets bigger!

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »
I have a monthly train pass that covers my commute between Manhattan and my town, but sometimes I go to my boyfriend's house in a town further up the line.  The last 5 times I did so, I purchased an extra far ticket to cover the cost from my town to his town.  It's about $5.  Every time, the conductor saw my regular commuter pass and just waved me on and didn't ask for the upgrade ticket.  I can't get a refund for it though because there's a fee that wipes out the cost of the ticket making the refund moot.  So this week I did NOT buy the upgrade fare since they never ask for the ticket, and naturally, this week they asked for the ticket and I was forced to pay the on-board price of the upgrade.   ::)

I'm confused. I'm reading this that you are paying the correct fare, but are upset that they don't ask you for proof? And if you could, you would ask for a refund for the fare which you used, even though they didn't ask for the ticket?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
or.... I ask DS repeatedly if he has to go to the bathroom before bed/car trip/swim lessons and he says no. Two seconds into the trip/bed/lesson-he has to go RIGHT NOW.  Sigh.  (He's 4)

My 4-year-old granddaughter does that. Now I just send her to the bathroom to "try" and it usually works, even if she insists she doesn't need to go.

We do that too.  It's a rule before we leave the house that they have to at least try. 

When you put the food in, plug it in, turn it on, and when your back is turned your DuH wanders through the kitchen, sees that the machine is on (it had a red light on the front) and TURNS IT OFF!!!

I had this problem with a member of my household who shall remain nameless (to protect the guilty).  One night, after the kitchen was cleaned up and pretty much shut down for the evening, I decided to clean the sink using the Fly Lady method.  You basically fill up your basin(s) with bleach water and let them sit for a little while.  Drain, wipe them down and your sinks are all spiffy.

So I filled up one basin and left the other empty in case someone needed to use the sink and went on to do something else.  When I came back 30 minutes later to drain it, I discovered it was already empty.  I thought the drain plug had malfunctioned, so I did it again.  10 minutes later, I heard a gurgle and discovered household member had pulled the plug.  I asked him why he did that.

"Well, the sink was backed up and I was clearing the drain."

Not surprisingly, you have to be careful about how early you preheat an oven because he will see the oven on and turn it off.  He's helpful like that.   ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:18:01 PM by 2littlemonkeys »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
I'm 44.  I use the bathroom before I leave on any trip longer than the 5 minutes it'll take me to get to work.  And if I'm travelling and we stop for any reason, I always use the bathroom, whether I have to go or not.

Never fails - if I don't go, 10 minutes down the road, I will need to go.
Ontario

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »
When I prep a batch of soup to go into the crockpot and even turn it on, but fail to actually plug the machine in.
When you put the food in, plug it in, turn it on, and when your back is turned your DuH wanders through the kitchen, sees that the machine is on (it had a red light on the front) and TURNS IT OFF!!!

You would be let off the homicide charge on grounds that he needed killin'.  ;D
Words mean things.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 06:11:03 PM »
When I prep a batch of soup to go into the crockpot and even turn it on, but fail to actually plug the machine in.

You would be let off the homicide charge on grounds that he needed killin'.  ;D
;D No, his punishment was getting PBJ for supper, since there was no lovely pot-roast, potatoes, and carrots waiting for us when we got home that evening.  Well, it was waiting for us, but still completely raw.  I think I threw the whole thing out, since raw meat that had been sitting out for that long didn't seem safe to me.  And that really hurt, because meat was expensive in Alaska, and I'd planned to make at least 3 meals out of that pot-roast.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

sunnygirl

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2012, 02:31:51 AM »
I have a monthly train pass that covers my commute between Manhattan and my town, but sometimes I go to my boyfriend's house in a town further up the line.  The last 5 times I did so, I purchased an extra far ticket to cover the cost from my town to his town.  It's about $5.  Every time, the conductor saw my regular commuter pass and just waved me on and didn't ask for the upgrade ticket.  I can't get a refund for it though because there's a fee that wipes out the cost of the ticket making the refund moot.  So this week I did NOT buy the upgrade fare since they never ask for the ticket, and naturally, this week they asked for the ticket and I was forced to pay the on-board price of the upgrade.   ::)

I'm confused. I'm reading this that you are paying the correct fare, but are upset that they don't ask you for proof? And if you could, you would ask for a refund for the fare which you used, even though they didn't ask for the ticket?
POD. I understand how frustrating train ticketing can be, but choosing not to purchase a valid ticket on the grounds they don't check is outright theft.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2012, 09:03:35 AM »
I hate it when I come home exhausted from a major grocery run, and one of my daughters says "Oh, by the way, we're out of (blah).  Did you get any?"

My daughter is moonlighting as a member of your family?

We must be passing the same kid around to all our families.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 09:08:55 AM »
I've got a few friends who pass on hand-me-down kids' clothing, so this fall I went digging through the back of Babybartfast's closet to see whether we had any long-sleeve 4T clothes.  And I discovered a HUGE tub of 3T-4T summer stuff I didn't know was there  :-[  I spent all summer dithering over whether I should go out and buy Babybartfast more clothes - I usually have plenty just from hand-me-downs, but for some reason we were always running out of tank tops and shorts.  Now I know why  :-[  At least I can put it away (labeled correctly this time!) and pull it out when Bittybartfast gets bigger!

The tub will now go where I put last years' Christmas cards that I bought for a song, never to be seen again  ;D