Author Topic: Don't you just hate it when....  (Read 12989 times)

mmswm

Re: Don't you just hate it when....
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:34 AM »
I hate it that the city of Minneapolis, Minnesota can't be bothered to plow their city streets down to the pavement, but instead leave a 2-inch thick layer of packed slush/ice.....
I've never been to Minneapolis, but I've lived in a couple other snowy cities.  Here's what happens.

The snow storm starts and the normal city traffic continues.  The snow gets packed on the roads.  The snow accumulates, and the plows come through,scraping down to the top of that hard packed layer.  Eventually the storm stops and the plows clear down to the top of that hard-packed layer. 

The salt and sand trucks come out, trying to melt the hard-packed layer.  The top of the pack turns into that slush-ice mess.  The plows try to remove it, but the next storm starts before its all moved.

Possibly, but the road crews in Fargo, ND do a spectacular job of keeping the roads clear...all the way down to the pavement, even in the middle of a blizzard.  Okay, maybe a blizzard gets them a little backed up, but the point being that they're on top of things. The next argument, of course, is that Minneapolis is a much larger city, but they have a correspondingly larger budget and number of snow plows working. The last argument then, is that Fargo has the best snow removal crews on the planet.  That I could agree with (this after crews worked through the night during the second major blizzard in two days a few years back, passing through every thirty minutes or so to keep the road passable and allow the people who lived down that road to get home, so I might be biased a bit.)

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

sunnygirl

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2012, 05:34:38 AM »
What's extremely frustrating is living in a city that grinds to a standstill every time there's two inches of snow.  ::)

squeakers

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »
It's 24F and my wood stove is out of fuel oil. My husband is on a 2 day business trip.  I have no clue on how to fill the oil tank nor where he keeps the little oil container (that you take and get filled at the gas station.)  Luckily my oldest boy does know both things and once he is up for the day I will be sending him to get and fill so I can be warm. (Plus I am too short to reach the top of the tank to actually fill it.)

What cheeses me: we have a brand new propane furnace sitting in the basement.  Unlike the stove, which DH has hooked up to the propane pig, the furnace is just sitting there all lonely and jealous it never gets used.  Mr. Furnace is supposed to be for back-up use and for when the wood is done for the night so I don't have to get up and stoke at 3AM.

What cheeses me even more? This is year 2 of poor Mr. Furnace sitting down there waiting to be used. There's always something else more important that needs doing so he hasn't gotten done.

I'm going back to bed and turning on my electric blanket!
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
My current one - pagination differences in e-books based on which device you're reading it on. I have my nook and my phone, which has a nook app. I switch between the two - I don't like to carry my nook around at work, but do like to read if I'm waiting for a conference call to start and I have nothing else to do for ten or fifteen minutes. The pages are different between the two, so I have to go by chapter and sort of skim through until I get to the right spot unless I stop exactly at the end of a chapter. How annoying!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
... the person before you at the self serve fuel pumps doesn't drain their nozzle properly before replacing it?  (Oh dear that sounds naughty!)

This morning I went to fill up my car on the way to work.  As I pulled the nozzle from the bowser I got covered by a shower of diesel.  It's oily as heck, smells to high heaven, and is so hard to remove.

I've washed every exposed bit of me repeatedly, but I'm still wearing the unmistakable Eau de Diesel fragrance today.  Sigh.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
My current one - pagination differences in e-books based on which device you're reading it on. I have my nook and my phone, which has a nook app. I switch between the two - I don't like to carry my nook around at work, but do like to read if I'm waiting for a conference call to start and I have nothing else to do for ten or fifteen minutes. The pages are different between the two, so I have to go by chapter and sort of skim through until I get to the right spot unless I stop exactly at the end of a chapter. How annoying!

Hmmm . . . that's interesting. I sometimes get a prompt from my nook something to the effect of "This book is opened on a different device. Would you like to stay at this page or go to the page of different device?" (not exact words.) Which is really odd because I only read my nook from my nook. Never from my computer or phone. ???

I'm surprised that I get this type of notification (maybe 6 times in the past year) when I don't use a different device, but you don't when you do use a different device.

Maybe contact Nook customer support?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:43 PM »
... the person before you at the self serve fuel pumps doesn't drain their nozzle properly before replacing it?  (Oh dear that sounds naughty!)

It's only naughty because you have a naughty mind! :D

I didn't think of naughty until you mentioned it . . . now I'm thinking all sorts of crazy!

I would mention this to the gas-station personnel. There may be something askew with their shut off valve.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »
What's extremely frustrating is living in a city that grinds to a standstill every time there's two inches of snow.  ::)

Reminds me of a person who called into the Ellen DeGeneres show, and the next day Ellen called her back to ask her if she was able to see the show to see that she moved a plant that the woman claimed made Ellen look like Alfalfa cause it was spiky and right behind her head. 

The woman said "Honey, yesterday we had about two flakes of snow and they shut the whole city down" (She was from Texas)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »

It's only naughty because you have a naughty mind! :D

Guilty as charged!   >:D

starofwinter

« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »
When you wash all your clothes, take a long, hot shower, and prepare for a wonderfully relaxing day with a good friend, only to discover that the dog has escaped his kennel in the thunderstorm, torn up the backyard, and is currently sitting at the back door, wagging his tail and throwing mud everywhere.  Oh, and it's around 35 degrees.  And you have no rain boots.  And your backyard is flooded.  And the scent of Eau de Wet Mutt is wafting into your kitchen.  Yeah, yesterday was a good day.

exitzero

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »

Reminds me of a person who called into the Ellen DeGeneres show, and the next day Ellen called her back to ask her if she was able to see the show to see that she moved a plant that the woman claimed made Ellen look like Alfalfa cause it was spiky and right behind her head. 

The woman said "Honey, yesterday we had about two flakes of snow and they shut the whole city down" (She was from Texas)
I was talking to a man in a small Arizona town one day, and he said the past winter they had gotten 10 inches of snow. I was shocked until the explained that one flake of snow fell, then another one fell 10 inches from that one!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2012, 11:56:53 AM »

Hmmm . . . that's interesting. I sometimes get a prompt from my nook something to the effect of "This book is opened on a different device. Would you like to stay at this page or go to the page of different device?" (not exact words.) Which is really odd because I only read my nook from my nook. Never from my computer or phone. ???

I'm surprised that I get this type of notification (maybe 6 times in the past year) when I don't use a different device, but you don't when you do use a different device.

Maybe contact Nook customer support?

It's because my nook device is offline, and my phone is not, that this doesn't work. I only sync my nook device at home. I'm mostly having this issue when I'm at work, have left my nook in my purse, and have to go to a room to wait on a conference call and don't want to take the nook with me.

Totally a first world issue.

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2012, 12:23:35 PM »
...I get all snuggled into bed and then remember I forgot to grab my phone (I use it for my alarm).  Bonus yuck if I can't seem to recall where I left it.

See also: forgetting to turn off my alarm when on vacation.

Ugh, I do all of these!

And of course, the first day of vacation, my weekday alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, ugh.  It's off now  ::)
Texas

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2012, 01:15:53 PM »
...I get all snuggled into bed and then remember I forgot to grab my phone (I use it for my alarm).  Bonus yuck if I can't seem to recall where I left it.

Ugh, I do all of these!

And of course, the first day of vacation, my weekday alarm went off at 6:30 this morning, ugh.  It's off now  ::)

Yep. Same thing happened to us this morning.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

mmswm

« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2012, 07:20:29 PM »

Ugh, I do all of these!

Yep. Same thing happened to us this morning.

My new dog is my new alarm clock.  We went on a 2 mile walk at 5am.  Yup, we'll be resetting his clock soon.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)