Author Topic: Don't you just hate it when....  (Read 13383 times)

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
Re: Don't you just hate it when....
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
When you make a batch of soap using the oven method, and it's sitting in there cooling down nicely, and a family member turns on the oven to start preheating it to cook something, despite repeated warnings to always check.

Mmm, cooked soap...

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:23 PM »
or.... I ask DS repeatedly if he has to go to the bathroom before bed/car trip/swim lessons and he says no. Two seconds into the trip/bed/lesson-he has to go RIGHT NOW.  Sigh.  (He's 4)

My 4-year-old granddaughter does that. Now I just send her to the bathroom to "try" and it usually works, even if she insists she doesn't need to go.

We do that too.  It's a rule before we leave the house that they have to at least try. 

When you put the food in, plug it in, turn it on, and when your back is turned your DuH wanders through the kitchen, sees that the machine is on (it had a red light on the front) and TURNS IT OFF!!!

I had this problem with a member of my household who shall remain nameless (to protect the guilty).  One night, after the kitchen was cleaned up and pretty much shut down for the evening, I decided to clean the sink using the Fly Lady method.  You basically fill up your basin(s) with bleach water and let them sit for a little while.  Drain, wipe them down and your sinks are all spiffy.

So I filled up one basin and left the other empty in case someone needed to use the sink and went on to do something else.  When I came back 30 minutes later to drain it, I discovered it was already empty.  I thought the drain plug had malfunctioned, so I did it again.  10 minutes later, I heard a gurgle and discovered household member had pulled the plug.  I asked him why he did that.

"Well, the sink was backed up and I was clearing the drain."

Not surprisingly, you have to be careful about how early you preheat an oven because he will see the oven on and turn it off.  He's helpful like that.   ::)

Is he related to my mother? Her transgression is that whenver I turn up the heat on the stove, for a good reason, she will come by, think its too high, and turn it down. I'll then come in, and wonder WHY whatever isn't defrosted/heated/cooked yet.  It drives me nuts. She also has a habit of wanting to start cooking certain things waaaaay earlier than necessary. Such as the mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner, before we had even put the beef tenerloin into the oven!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »
or.... I ask DS repeatedly if he has to go to the bathroom before bed/car trip/swim lessons and he says no. Two seconds into the trip/bed/lesson-he has to go RIGHT NOW.  Sigh.  (He's 4)

My 4-year-old granddaughter does that. Now I just send her to the bathroom to "try" and it usually works, even if she insists she doesn't need to go.

We do that too.  It's a rule before we leave the house that they have to at least try. 

When you put the food in, plug it in, turn it on, and when your back is turned your DuH wanders through the kitchen, sees that the machine is on (it had a red light on the front) and TURNS IT OFF!!!

I had this problem with a member of my household who shall remain nameless (to protect the guilty).  One night, after the kitchen was cleaned up and pretty much shut down for the evening, I decided to clean the sink using the Fly Lady method.  You basically fill up your basin(s) with bleach water and let them sit for a little while.  Drain, wipe them down and your sinks are all spiffy.

So I filled up one basin and left the other empty in case someone needed to use the sink and went on to do something else.  When I came back 30 minutes later to drain it, I discovered it was already empty.  I thought the drain plug had malfunctioned, so I did it again.  10 minutes later, I heard a gurgle and discovered household member had pulled the plug.  I asked him why he did that.

"Well, the sink was backed up and I was clearing the drain."

Not surprisingly, you have to be careful about how early you preheat an oven because he will see the oven on and turn it off.  He's helpful like that.   ::)

Is he related to my mother? Her transgression is that whenver I turn up the heat on the stove, for a good reason, she will come by, think its too high, and turn it down. I'll then come in, and wonder WHY whatever isn't defrosted/heated/cooked yet.  It drives me nuts. She also has a habit of wanting to start cooking certain things waaaaay earlier than necessary. Such as the mashed potatoes for Christmas dinner, before we had even put the beef tenerloin into the oven!

Oh, my MIL does this - she's of the school of thought that says that if the directions say 300 degrees for 30 minutes, then 250 degrees for two hours is infinitely better. Even if the result means that we set off the fire alarm. Gotta get it cooked all the way done - it might have worms in it. *eyeroll*

Dorrie78

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2013, 03:26:10 PM »
When you finally get yourself all cozy on the couch, wrapped in blankets, kitty asleep on your legs, beverage and remotes within reach, good show on TV and the phone rings. The one that you forgot to set down within arm's reach.

sevenday

« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:58 PM »
The only thing worse is when the kitty in question is one that doesn't normally snuggle! Then you have to make the choice of relieving your bladder, or soaking up the kitty-love that will not come around again for another six months.  No, I haven't peed myself yet, but there were times I began to wonder.

parrot_girl

« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2013, 12:18:41 AM »
When you are trying to get the toddler to sleep, and you've nursed him, snuggled, sung till your throat is sore, he's limp and snoring in your arms and the INSTANT he touches the sheets of his cot he's wide awake and shrieking.
Honestly, it's a cot, not an Iron Maiden!
Bonus points if this happens at 2am...

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2013, 09:06:54 AM »
The only thing worse is when the kitty in question is one that doesn't normally snuggle! Then you have to make the choice of relieving your bladder, or soaking up the kitty-love that will not come around again for another six months.  No, I haven't peed myself yet, but there were times I began to wonder.

You know they can detect full bladders, and that's why they do it, right?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »
When you are trying to get the toddler to sleep, and you've nursed him, snuggled, sung till your throat is sore, he's limp and snoring in your arms and the INSTANT he touches the sheets of his cot he's wide awake and shrieking.

I feel you. I've gotten to the point where I just walk away, shut the door and go back to bed with a pillow over my ears.  Last night the shrieking lasted a whole of two minutes and he was out for the count.   Granted he's only 14 months so he's still in a crib and thus unable to crawl out and cause trouble.  But he's at the age where he hates being left alone or confined so no matter what he's going to shriek when he's put in his crib and then Mama leaves him alone in the room.

My irritation is that there are a few places in his room that are convenient for plugging in a nightlight where he can see it.  Actually I think there's a total of 4 outlets, two of which are behind his dresser, one is in sort of an alcove and the other is behind his crib where he can see it but he can also reach his little hand through the bars and mess with it.

I need to get one of those lights you can just stick to the wall and hit so it won't matter where the outlets are.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »
DD asked for a hand-held video game for Christmas. So DH scoured Craig's List looking for one that wasn't too far for him to pick up. He found one about a half hour drive away, just in time for it to go under the tree.

Now CL is flooded with these games, all in our town or the next town over, many cheeper and with more games!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »

I feel you. I've gotten to the point where I just walk away, shut the door and go back to bed with a pillow over my ears.  Last night the shrieking lasted a whole of two minutes and he was out for the count.   Granted he's only 14 months so he's still in a crib and thus unable to crawl out and cause trouble.  But he's at the age where he hates being left alone or confined so no matter what he's going to shriek when he's put in his crib and then Mama leaves him alone in the room.

My irritation is that there are a few places in his room that are convenient for plugging in a nightlight where he can see it.  Actually I think there's a total of 4 outlets, two of which are behind his dresser, one is in sort of an alcove and the other is behind his crib where he can see it but he can also reach his little hand through the bars and mess with it.

I need to get one of those lights you can just stick to the wall and hit so it won't matter where the outlets are.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e7d8/?pfm=Search&t=mushroom%20light

I have been using this all night every night since Christmas and haven't needed to change the batteries yet.  (It's just an LED inside a plastic mushroom-shaped light, but you can either do it with batteries or plugged into a USB drive.)  It's not that bright when you first go to bed, but once your eyes adjust it's more than sufficient to scare monsters away (or navigate across the room when SOMEONE is fussing and hungry again for the third time in one night.)

alkira6

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »

I have been using this all night every night since Christmas and haven't needed to change the batteries yet.  (It's just an LED inside a plastic mushroom-shaped light, but you can either do it with batteries or plugged into a USB drive.)  It's not that bright when you first go to bed, but once your eyes adjust it's more than sufficient to scare monsters away (or navigate across the room when SOMEONE is fussing and hungry again for the third time in one night.)

See, you get me all excited and they're all out!

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »
Mine doesn't shriek, but there have been times that the sure-fire way to wake him up was putting him in bed, even if nothing else would wake him up.

Another thing I hate: Some time after dinner I am nursing my baby in bed, after the whole bath and diaper changing ritual. My DH lies down next to me and I notice him turnimg his head away a little.
Me: "yeah, I'll brush my teeth when I'm done with the baby.
DH: " yeah you REALLY need to brush your teeth!"

Thanks for rubbing it in. Did I mention that I didn't have time for it after dinner so far?

Another thing I hate: when people question occurances of my body needs. Sounds a bit vague, but let me give examples:
I need to go to the toilet: but you didnt need to go half an hour ago!
I am hungry two hours after dinner: how can you be hungry again now? (clarification: yes I ate enough)
I am spending quite some time on the toilet: what's taking you so long? (you REALLY want an answer to that?)

mmswm

« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2013, 07:15:48 PM »
Tonight's "don't you just hate it when..."

...You're about set to make dinner, which is late because you spent way to much time chatting with an old friend whom you love dearly but haven't seen in years, and one of the kids come running in and says "CRUD MONKEYS!! IT'S WILLIAM!", which of course sends me into panic mode.  Now, the child is hurt but I don't think it's any worse than normal childhood bumps in bruises.  The hurt joint is one with a fair amount of metal in it, so I'll watch and see, but definitely not as panic worthy as originally presented.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2013, 07:48:49 PM »
When I prep a batch of soup to go into the crockpot and even turn it on, but fail to actually plug the machine in.

BTDT and haven't found out until it's a few hours later and I'm wondering why I can't smell it cooking.

I always make a point to touch the pot before I leave home, and I'll say out loud "Soup's on."  I can remember myself saying it.  ;D
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »

Oooh that looks cool! :) Thankfully tonight he went down with a minimal amount of fussing. He seems to go in cycles where sometimes he sleeps through the night and other times he doesn't.  I'm hoping when we go camping in about 4 months he'll decide to sleep through the night since my friend will be in the tent with us. It will be his first time camping so I won't be surprised if the noises of the sea keep him up (we camp on Assateague Island) or other sounds the first night.

On the other hand it'll be a busy day since the day we go down there he's getting baptized and we'll have lunch with the relatives who attend, then will head home, change and drive down.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata