General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Now She Thinks I'm A Leper

<< < (2/5) > >>

Phoebe:

--- Quote from: MrTango on December 06, 2012, 02:45:54 PM ---There's a word for what she's doing: Harassment.

I'd tell her once (and only once) that she needs to stop commenting on your health.  If she continues, go to HR.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Lorelei_Evil on December 06, 2012, 02:45:02 PM ---I'd go straight to HR with this.  You're handling it well, but you've got a drama queen of a cow-orker so I'd bring HR into the loop in case things escalate.

--- End quote ---

It's hardly harassment.  What she's saying sounds just like people in my office.  She's sympathizing and expressing concern.  This incident on its own is not something to get HR involved in.  They won't take you seriously if true harassment begins.

Deetee:
While she is being annoying, I would not call this harrassment and perhaps you could try a little harder to alleviate her (annoying concerns). If this is a sinus infection, is it not contagious? If you aren't ill, I suggest you keep repeating that "I am not ill or or contagious. I have winter allergies but it's nothing I can pass on to anyone else and I don't feel bad so there is no reason for me to head home.

siamesecat2965:
this would make me crazy as I suffer from both allergies and sinus problems and asthma. But I don't really ever get sick.  I do however, cough, sneeze, blow my nose and am sniffly most of the time. I try and keep my noises to a minimum, but sometimes it just can't be helped.  yet i am nowhere near contagious, and if someone kept commenting on my issues, I'd be pretty peeved about it.

LeveeWoman:

--- Quote from: Deetee on December 06, 2012, 07:33:49 PM ---While she is being annoying, I would not call this harrassment and perhaps you could try a little harder to alleviate her (annoying concerns). If this is a sinus infection, is it not contagious? If you aren't ill, I suggest you keep repeating that "I am not ill or or contagious. I have winter allergies but it's nothing I can pass on to anyone else and I don't feel bad so there is no reason for me to head home.

--- End quote ---

This coworker already has proven herself to be a pain in the back-side.

Deetee:

--- Quote from: LeveeWoman on December 06, 2012, 10:24:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: Deetee on December 06, 2012, 07:33:49 PM ---While she is being annoying, I would not call this harrassment and perhaps you could try a little harder to alleviate her (annoying concerns). If this is a sinus infection, is it not contagious? If you aren't ill, I suggest you keep repeating that "I am not ill or or contagious. I have winter allergies but it's nothing I can pass on to anyone else and I don't feel bad so there is no reason for me to head home.

--- End quote ---

This coworker already has proven herself to be a pain in the back-side.

--- End quote ---

Yup, which is why I mentioned twice that she is annoying. But, the truth is that nothing she has done has risen to the level of harrassment or requires intervention by a boss. This is simply an annoying person being annoying who will likely continue to be annoying for the rest of her working life.

I think the best way to deal with such people is to be brief and receptive, but firm. So listen and acknowledge her concern. Address it. Then state your action and move on. In this case, she is afraid of getting ill. In the previous post she was afraid of smelling scents. Next week, she will be afraid of tripping on a cable and the week after that the temperature will be too high or low.

So here, you let her know that you acknowledge that she is afraid that she may get ill because you are contagious. Then you let her know that you are not contagious. Then you let her know that you will be staying at work and then you close the conversation by leaving or moving onto other work topics.

If she brings it up again, you do exactly the same thing. Acknowledge concern, Explain, State Action, Move On. If she brings it up again do the same thing, but get briefer and more firm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version