Author Topic: Extreme dietary restrictions  (Read 3507 times)

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Extreme dietary restrictions
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 05:19:41 AM »
because this is so extreme, and hosts - as much as they would want to do the right thing - might end up inadvertently serving something you can't have, I agree with PPs who suggest first talking to the hosts and then bringing your food

I've been in situations where I couldn't eat *a* dish so i just skipped it, but a whole rigid eating regime is a different story.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
I'd be fine with you bringing your own food. There are things I just can't make without some practice, and some I can't make at all, and I'd much rather not make you sick.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mj

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »
Thanks all.

My diet cannot be modified at all, so taking a little is out of the question.  I understand how extreme it is for hosts.  Which makes me a tad nervous because even if they do seem to get it, I've had two different situations now where I saw something that made me question what was in it/how it was prepared and came to find out, nope I can't eat that!  I also feel bad questioning but I didn't know what else to do, I really cannot eat it at all.

I think I'll probably take food when hosts will let me.  Since the diet is "tree bark and water" (I love that description, cattlekid and hope you don't mind me using it!) I find I have to eat a lot more often.  I will probably have to decline eating invites with hosts who won't let me bring food and do something else instead with them.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
As a host, I'd much prefer you bring your own food instead of sitting there with only a beverage.  Definitely talk to the host.  I'm sure it will calm their nerves if you just go ahead and bring your own food.  I'm often super nervous about cross contamination when cooking for those with food allergies.  I would jump at the chance for them to bring their own food.  Of couse, everyone is different.

NyaChan

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Thanks all.

My diet cannot be modified at all, so taking a little is out of the question.  I understand how extreme it is for hosts.  Which makes me a tad nervous because even if they do seem to get it, I've had two different situations now where I saw something that made me question what was in it/how it was prepared and came to find out, nope I can't eat that!  I also feel bad questioning but I didn't know what else to do, I really cannot eat it at all.

I think I'll probably take food when hosts will let me.  Since the diet is "tree bark and water" (I love that description, cattlekid and hope you don't mind me using it!) I find I have to eat a lot more often.  I will probably have to decline eating invites with hosts who won't let me bring food and do something else instead with them.

I think your best bet is that when you get the invite, go ahead and say - "I would love to come and spend time with you, however, with my medical diet being so strict, I would need to bring food for myself.  Will that be a problem?" 

Specky

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 11:16:17 AM »
After being told several times, "Oh, there is no need for you to bring food and I really want you to eat  with the rest of us, besides, I'm sure a little bit of XXXX won't hurt you."  I no longer accept invitations that involve a meal.  Safer.