Author Topic: Mailing baked goods  (Read 703 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Mailing baked goods
« on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
I do a huge holiday bake most years, and mail off the cookies the same week - usually a day or two after they are done, at most. I do mostly sugar cookie varieties (adding flavored chips, colored sugar, spices, etc. to a basic sugar cookie dough) and a few others - peanut butter for my grandfather, some oatmeal or molasses cookies occasionally. I also do hard candy, which keeps well for weeks or months depending on how it's stored, and pumpkin breads.

My problem is this year my MIL is not feeling well, I'm going to have to go up there this weekend and this weekend was planned to be my holiday baking weekend. I'm going to have to piecemeal it out over a few days this week and maybe next (depending on how things go), and so I won't be mailing until likely Monday of next week.

If I freeze cookies, how can I make sure they arrive edible? I don't want them to get soggy in transit and moldy. I know I can wrap the (mini loaf sized) pumpkin bread in parchment and paper towels and foil and plastic and they will do well - I've done that before.

I'm sure there's an easy solution here, I'm just not seeing it.

Figgie

Re: Mailing baked goods
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
I freeze the cookies, take them out of the freezer, let them thaw on a cooling rack on the counter and then re-crisp them in the oven for a few minutes to make sure that they aren't going to be soggy.  Let them cool and then wrap up like I would if they were fresh and mail them.

Hope that helps!

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Mailing baked goods
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
Thanks - not sure I'll have time to basically rebake them, though. I think I may just freeze cookies pre-portioned, bake the day before I mail, and be done with it. I think I'll be upping the percentage of the box that is candy, too. :-)