Author Topic: Something to offset sweet breakfast menu - Thank you! Post #18  (Read 2200 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Something to offset sweet breakfast menu
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »

* Cream-cheese filled cinnamon french toast

Please tell! Are you talking about two pieces of french toast with cream cheese spread between them? Sounds Oh.So.Delicious! I've never thought of doing that before!

Maybe do 2 different batches of the french toast, one the way you described and the other without the cinnamon and use a flavored cream cheese (mix with chives or dill with a bit of garlic?) for a more savory taste.

Or you could do sliced tomatoes that you top with cheese (my mom used to do equal parts parmesean, ricotta, mozzarella and mayo and basil but it is a little rich) and then broil. 

^I think this is a great idea. I love tomatoes with eggy dishes (french toast is eggy.)  I suggest using the plum (Roma) tomatoes, they are less juicy and grill/broil well without falling apart. Slice them in half length-wise and slice a sliver off of the round outer edge so that they sit without wobbling.

THEN! Add some chopped portabella mushrooms to the above cheese mixture (I think I would leave out the mayo and add a splash of red-wine vinegar instead.) You could add a bit of garlic or finely chopped red onion.

Or, if you prefer, you could make a mixture of crab (I use canned) with cream cheese and sea-food spices to broil the tomatoes with, using a seasoned bread crumb topping.

I think that the broiled tomatoes is a nice savory (different) addition to your sweet menu.

Oh Joy

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 09:03:11 PM »
Yum!  All of the ideas sound so good!

Potatoes a la Winterlight with lots of black pepper would probably be very easy and cut the sweet nicely, especially if I do baked potatoes for dinner the night before and make extra to chop and fry in the morning.

But our fridge went on the fritz yesterday, so we sit with its contents in coolers on the back patio (Minnesota winter weather has many benefits) awaiting a service tech to come out in the morning.  Maybe we'll be eating out instead!

And, yes, jpcher, just spread cream cheese between two slices of bread before dipping in the egg mixture.  Then cook more like grilled cheese sandwiches.  Mmmmmm...and I'm intruiged at some of the savory options I'm reading about now.  Must experiment.

Keep the thoughts coming!  Thank you!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 11:47:26 AM »
Oh, dear! I hope it's fixable.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Oh Joy

Re: Something to offset sweet breakfast menu - Thank you! Post #18
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 10:09:55 PM »
Thanks again for your suggestions.  Breakfast was simple and delicious this morning:
* Cream cheese filled french toast on cinnamon bread
* Turkey sausage
* Fried potatoes and veggies (a bag of stir-fry: asparagus, mushroom, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, squash, and onion chosen from a limited grocery store selection) that were a very happy accident.  Will definitely make that again on purpose!
* Good orange juice

Just right!

Bad news - fridge won't be repaired for several days yet
Good news - mother nature created a perfect outdoor fridge with a 14" snowfall and a coming cold snap
Bad news - our event (for which our guests had driven several hours into the city and stayed with us the night prior to) was canceled due to the winter storm, so our guests headed for home after breakfast.  They drove until the roads became impassable, and are holed up in a church until morning or whenever the snowplows are able to get the roads cleared.   Keep your fingers crossed for all the stranded travelers, please.
Good news - we were glad to have our guests, as they are family we don't see nearly often enough.

Regardless, we pulled off just the kind of breakfast we wanted this morning.  Thanks!