General Etiquette > Life...in general

Store Lines and Cell Phones: Did I do wrong?

<< < (9/9)

Spring Water on Sundays:

--- Quote from: O'Dell on December 06, 2012, 09:15:51 PM ---Oops sorry Weeble I didn't see that it was you replying to Sharnita a few posts ago.

Did you really think she was lying that she was in line? I honestly think in this situation it was a misunderstanding and you should have let her go first. People sometimes step from line to grab a candy bar a few feet away or get distracted and let a large gap grow in front of them. So what if it's not clear? Was it worth the moment or 2 you got out of the store faster worth being called names and feeling the way you do now?

I'm not justifying her actions. She was rude to call you names. But I do think you should have just believed her that she was in line and not made a fuss about the cell phone or that she wasn't satisfactorily close in line. Even if you couldn't bring yourself to let her go before you, you could have explained why you didn't think she had the right to and done so politely.

--- End quote ---

Based on my reading of the OP, this is my interpretation: These things happen so fast in real life, sometimes it is difficult to change our assumptions about what is actually happening quickly enough to change our course of action or make a better/different decision.

If I were OP, based on what I had observed up to the point of deciding whether or not to go ahead with my transaction, I would be working off of the assumption that Cell Phone Lady would not proceed to the register as long as she was on the phone – because that’s what she had been doing up until that point. Working with that assumption, I would have gone ahead with my purchase since I would have no way of knowing how much longer that phone conversation was going to take. I certainly wouldn’t stand out in the middle of the main aisle for even another 15 seconds while the checkout stand remained unused. Especially since, according to the OP, by the time she was able to verbally respond to Cell Phone Lady, the cashier has already begun ringing up her items.

wendelenn:

--- Quote from: O'Dell on December 06, 2012, 09:15:51 PM ---Oops sorry Weeble I didn't see that it was you replying to Sharnita a few posts ago.

Did you really think she was lying that she was in line? I honestly think in this situation it was a misunderstanding and you should have let her go first. People sometimes step from line to grab a candy bar a few feet away or get distracted and let a large gap grow in front of them. So what if it's not clear? Was it worth the moment or 2 you got out of the store faster worth being called names and feeling the way you do now?

I'm not justifying her actions. She was rude to call you names. But I do think you should have just believed her that she was in line and not made a fuss about the cell phone or that she wasn't satisfactorily close in line. Even if you couldn't bring yourself to let her go before you, you could have explained why you didn't think she had the right to and done so politely.

--- End quote ---

Ten feet away from the register, talking on the phone, is *not* "in line", not in any way, shape, or form.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: wendelenn on December 07, 2012, 07:39:58 PM ---Ten feet away from the register, talking on the phone, is *not* "in line", not in any way, shape, or form.

--- End quote ---

That's my feeling, too. I don't thing OP was wrong in the slightest. Not in moving to the register and not in responding to the person who chastised her.

Bijou:
I know they already have signs at some places saying to complete your phone call prior to coming to the checkout, but people don't seem to read those. 
I wish the stores would put up signs saying, "This is a checkout line, not a telephone booth!"

ETA  I wonder if anyone would even know what a telephone booth is, anymore!  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version