General Etiquette > Life...in general

Appropriate thank you gift/gesture

<< < (2/2)

CakeEater:
And please don't feel bad about not buying something bigger. If your friends know your situation, and obviously they do, I suspect that you spending your money on them would make them feel pretty bad.

mmswm:

--- Quote from: sweetonsno on December 07, 2012, 03:39:01 AM ---A handwritten letter would be wonderful. If you have any sort of special skills, you could make a small book that includes instructions and stories. For instance, if you're great at organizing, you could write a funny story about something that happened with these people on one page, and a relevant tip on the other. (Say, for instance, she accidentally sprinkled salt all over the strawberries she served at a birthday party. You could suggest using color-coded lids to organize her spice cupboard, or keep the sweet spices on one shelf and the savory on another.)

--- End quote ---

Oh, this is a wonderful idea! I've spent a bit of time doing some minor household repairs while I've been here (broken toilet, broken bathtub faucet, loose door handles).  Maybe I could put together a little how-to for basic stuff like that!

I wanted to do the letter, but I was afraid it might seem trite.  These people have been so wonderful to me, that a letter just seemed so little. Thanks for all your input!

CakeBeret:
I also would write a letter.

And perhaps, six months or a year from now, when things are looking up for you, send them something nice out of the blue.

O'Dell:

--- Quote from: mmswm on December 07, 2012, 11:10:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: sweetonsno on December 07, 2012, 03:39:01 AM ---A handwritten letter would be wonderful. If you have any sort of special skills, you could make a small book that includes instructions and stories. For instance, if you're great at organizing, you could write a funny story about something that happened with these people on one page, and a relevant tip on the other. (Say, for instance, she accidentally sprinkled salt all over the strawberries she served at a birthday party. You could suggest using color-coded lids to organize her spice cupboard, or keep the sweet spices on one shelf and the savory on another.)

--- End quote ---

Oh, this is a wonderful idea! I've spent a bit of time doing some minor household repairs while I've been here (broken toilet, broken bathtub faucet, loose door handles).  Maybe I could put together a little how-to for basic stuff like that!

I wanted to do the letter, but I was afraid it might seem trite.  These people have been so wonderful to me, that a letter just seemed so little. Thanks for all your input!

--- End quote ---

Not at all trite! Well maybe if you scribbled thanks on some notebook paper and sailed out the door. ;) I had a couple staying with me for a month and knew they appreciated it and that was thanks enough really. A nice letter with heartfelt thanks with some of the things that you've said here would be very nice.

Personally the best thing that I could have heard (or read in a letter) was that the kindness would be "paid forward". Even if you never have a chance to do something for these friends, you can help someone else once you are back on your feet and in a position to do so. I would love to hear that if I were your friends, but that might just be me.

Sending some hugs and positive vibes to you and hoping you get everything sorted soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version