Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Icing for Cookies?

<< < (2/3) > >>

mechtilde:
I've always made royal icing with egg white, icing sugar and lemon. It has to be beaten for about 10 minutes though.

blarg314:

The traditional royal icing does contain raw eggs, so if you've got a danger-conscious crowd (or pregnant women) you might want a label on them.

I remember using the icing sugar and lemon juice version, with food colouring. It makes a very thin icing, which I think would be a lot easier to decorate with (rather than just ice) than the much fluffier royal icing - you can use it almost like a paint, or use a dipped  toothpick for details. It dried fairly firmly, as there's no fat in it, so you can stack the cookies in a tin, and it glues on other decorations nicely.

EmmaJ.:
Thanks everyone! I plan on baking a batch tomorrow so I'll let you know how they turn out.

lilfox:
I know this is late for the OP, but in case anyone else was looking for sugar cookie icing:

Start with 1 cup powdered sugar, add 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 Tb milk, and mix.  It makes a very thick paste.  Add milk by 1 tsp amounts and stir til you have the desired consistency (thick like glue vs. paste or liquid).  I also added food coloring (1 drop makes pretty strong pastels, need 2 or more drops for blended colors or vibrant primaries).  Lemon juice also works, as mentioned, instead of milk.  I used a food brush to paint the cookies, and wax paper to separate layers of cookies for transporting.

EmmaJ.:
Oops, I forgot to update!  I ended making a cashew cookie with confectioner sugar icing, topped with half a cashew.

Cashews are my favorite nut and the recipe sounded delicious. But... the recipe called for 6 cups of cashews but you really couldn't taste them after baking.  They ended up being expensive but 'meh' cookies.

At least they looked beautiful at the party!   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version