General Etiquette > Life...in general

Politely Turn Down Offer to Borrow Something?

<< < (3/3)

Lynn2000:
I like Outdoor Girl's response, offering to buy the textbooks from her, because you plan to highlight and write in them.

If she wants hers to remain pristine, and in her possession for the future, she can say no; and you go buy your own.

If she'd rather have the money than the books, she can say yes; and you buy them from her.

Or she might insist that you borrow, then return, them anyway, and treat them however you want. In which case you can refuse if you feel uncomfortable; or accept knowing that you told her upfront what would happen, and gave her an out.

boxy:

--- Quote from: O'Dell on December 07, 2012, 10:36:44 AM ---I think in this case honesty is the best policy. "I went ahead and bought my own text books. I'm hard on them and I just wouldn't be comfortable really *using* someone else's."

Note: don't make this about not wanting to use *her* books. Make it about not wanting to borrow anyone's books.

--- End quote ---

^^This^^

cicero:
you got good advice here -  remember, it's not rude to turn down an offer like this. your co worker is being very kind to you but you don't have to take her up on it.

I would however, as PPs suggetsed, ask her if she is looking to sell (after you check the average prices online).

jpcher:
Since you already bought the books, I agree with this:

--- Quote from: amylouky on December 07, 2012, 10:28:23 AM ---Thanks, but I like to keep my textbooks so I can refer to them in the future?

--- End quote ---

Along with telling her that you really like to mark-up your personally owned books for your own study, so borrowing her books wouldn't fit in with your study-style.

Tell her "Thank you very much" for the offer, but this works out better for you in the long run.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version