General Etiquette > Life...in general

Politely Turn Down Offer to Borrow Something?

<< < (2/3) > >>

CL32:
Thanks all.  :-[ I know it seems like a silly question, I just hate the thought of offending someone who's really trying to be super-nice. I appreciate your responses.

Outdoor Girl:
How about, 'I will happily buy them from you if you'd like to sell them but I wouldn't feel right borrowing them because I'm really hard on my textbooks.  If you want to keep them for future reference, I'll buy my own set rather than risk damaging yours.'

If I'd originally offered to loan my books, I might rethink and consider selling them to you.

Craftymom:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on December 07, 2012, 04:01:52 PM ---How about, 'I will happily buy them from you if you'd like to sell them but I wouldn't feel right borrowing them because I'm really hard on my textbooks.  If you want to keep them for future reference, I'll buy my own set rather than risk damaging yours.'

If I'd originally offered to loan my books, I might rethink and consider selling them to you.

--- End quote ---

POD the bolded above. Truthful and kind.

bopper:
Her lending is very kind as you don't have to pay money.
But you want to highlight them.
Do you want them to use after the class? If no,
I would ask her if you could buy them from her as you like to highlight them.
If you want your own copy then say "I like to highlight the books and I think I will be needing them for a future course but thank you so much for your offer.  I wouldn't mind borrowing your notes however. I would not write on those."

Zilla:
I would have said that you are planning on buying them and thanks for her offer.  And maybe she might or will offer to sell her textbooks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version