General Etiquette > Life...in general

Playing "Guess who's telephoning!"

(1/6) > >>

veryfluffy:
Telephone rings. I answer: "Hello?"
Caller: Hi!!"
Me: "Yes, hello?"
Caller "Don't you know who this is?"

I have one particular friend, "Jane", who always does this, and others do it as well.  Jane doesn't have a terribly distinctive voice -- particularly not just with just the word "Hi". She's not a very close friend -- I see her maybe once a month, or someone who it would be a wonderful surprise to hear from, which might make it more justifiable to be asked to guess, perhaps.

It may be that she telephones most friends on mobile phones, which would normally show her name if it was programmed in, but she calls me on my landline. Mostly I do know that it is Jane calling, although I refuse to play the game when she does this every time. This evening when she rang and tried to play the guessing-game I just said, "Someone who doesn't like to identify themselves when they ring?"

I really don't know what a polite response would be if someone insists on doing this.

Judah:
I don't play. It would go something like this:

Telephone rings. I answer: "Hello?"
Me: "Who is this?"
Me: "Who is this?"

If they don't identify themselves, I hang up.  This game irritates me to no end and it's one of my pet peeves.

bloo:

--- Quote from: veryfluffy on December 07, 2012, 01:41:11 PM ---Telephone rings. I answer: "Hello?"
Me: "Yes, hello?"

I have one particular friend, "Jane", who always does this, and others do it as well.  Jane doesn't have a terribly distinctive voice -- particularly not just with just the word "Hi". She's not a very close friend -- I see her maybe once a month, or someone who it would be a wonderful surprise to hear from, which might make it more justifiable to be asked to guess, perhaps.

It may be that she telephones most friends on mobile phones, which would normally show her name if it was programmed in, but she calls me on my landline. Mostly I do know that it is Jane calling, although I refuse to play the game when she does this every time. This evening when she rang and tried to play the guessing-game I just said, "Someone who doesn't like to identify themselves when they ring?"

I really don't know what a polite response would be if someone insists on doing this.

--- End quote ---

Once she asks, "Don't you know who this is?" I'd respond with "Jane?" and then when she says, "Oh so you finally recognize my voice!" I'd say, "Not really, but since you're the only person I talk to that doesn't identify herself, I'm assuming it's you."  >:D She doesn't have to know that a few other rude persons do it too. In fact, call everyone that does this Jane and when you have to explain yourself (especially to men) maybe they'll start identifying themselves.

But seriously, I'd be annoyed with this. I'm so rankled with it that I take great pains to identify myself when calling someone so they don't have the discomfort of the 'guessing game'. Whenever I answer my DH's or son's cellphone, I always say -to the effect of- "This is DH's cellphone, Bloo speaking." I do this so that someone obviously trying to get a hold of my DH isn't thrown when a female voice answers.

I've been thinking that proper phone ettiquette is being slowly eroded. And it's a shame.

Just saw Judah's post. You rock. Seriously.

rose red:
"Don't you know who this is?"

"No."

NyaChan:
"No, I don't.  Who is this?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version