General Etiquette > Life...in general

Playing "Guess who's telephoning!"

<< < (6/6)

Danika:

--- Quote from: CrazyDaffodilLady on December 07, 2012, 04:17:59 PM ---But seriously, who is so narcissistic that they expect a group of strangers to recognize them from an its me?

--- End quote ---

I think that's the crux of the issue.

I had a female cousin and a male friend who used to do this to me, back in the days before Caller-ID. After a while, I knew who it was, not because they had distinctive voices and I could figure out who they were by them just saying "hello" back to me after I answered, but because I only knew one female and one male who did it, so I could figure out who it was. I still thought it was incredibly entitled and narcissistic. I don't know why they did it. I think they thought they were clever or enigmatic. I always just responded like I was annoyed and didn't know who it was. I didn't want to reward annoying behavior.

Now that I know them better, I know they're both very narcissistic. That's my guess as to what's going on with Jane, too.

snappylt:
My favorite (true) story on the "who's calling" topic happened many years ago, when I was single.  My mother was still alive then, and she had come to visit me for Christmas Day.

The phone rang and I answered with a simple: "Hello."

Caller: "Snappy?  Snappy LT?  Is that you?"

I answered, "Yes, this is Snappy..."

Caller: "Snappy, this is John.  Oh, I am so glad to speak with you after all this time.  How have you been?  What are you doing?"

I had no idea who this John was.  I knew several people with that name, but the voice didn't sound familiar.  I went ahead and answered the question, hoping to figure it out:  "Well, my mom is visiting for Christmas.  We just had a nice dinner and now we are sitting here talking."

Caller:  [Silence.]  Then, in a very odd voice: "Your mother?  You're talking with your mother?" [Another pause.]  "Wait a minute.  Are you SnappyLT?"

Me: "Yes, I am."

Caller: "But are you the Snappy who went to high school in [town and state]?"

Me: "No, I've never even been there.  Do you suppose maybe you're trying to reach a different SnappyLT?"

Caller, sounding very relieved:  "Oh, that must be it.  The mother of the Snappy I know passed away when he was a little boy.  Sorry to have bothered you."

After all these years I still remember the odd tone of voice that caller used for just a moment when he thought I was talking to a ghost.

Hunter-Gatherer:

--- Quote from: veryfluffy on December 07, 2012, 01:41:11 PM ---Telephone rings. I answer: "Hello?"
Caller: Hi!!"
Me: "Yes, hello?"
Caller "Don't you know who this is?"

--- End quote ---

I'd see nothing wrong with making ridiculous guesses at this point, but that tends to match with my sense of humor anyway, and hopefully someone who thinks we're close enough that I should recognize their voice would know that.  It might go something like this:
Caller "Don't you know who this is?"
Me "Mickey Mouse?"
Caller "Seriously.  You don't know who I am?"
Me "Darth Vader?"
Caller "It's Jane!  How could you not recognize my voice?"
Me "We don't talk on the phone all that often, I'm bad at recognizing voices, and I don't like guessing games.  So, how've you been?  Good?  Me, oh I was just snacking on some lovely bean dip."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version