Author Topic: Does this really exist???  (Read 3019 times)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
Re: Does this really exist???
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »
For a sweetener try using stevia instead. It's way better tasting than the other sweeteners out there and you can buy a bag of it made to be "cup for cup" the same as sugar re: measuring. You don't have to worry about conversions, and the flavor is really good. I use it in everything (that requires sugar).

Please be careful with the stevia - if someone is a supertaster, or sensitive to the specific enzymes in stevia, the stuff tastes like bitter nastiness and not at all sweet.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 08:49:41 AM »
Gluten free, dairy free and sugar free food is found a lot on bodybuilding forums. Those guys follow a hardcore diet! I've made a lot of stuff with eggs, protein powder and sweeteners. Using protein powder and egg gives the treat some shape.

This bar, called "the Jake Cake" is protein fudge. It tastes pretty good if I say so myself. You need vanilla protein powder, and you would need to use vegan cream cheese replacement.
https://sites.google.com/site/thejakecake/

You said cream cheese but the recipe calls for ricotta. I think my DH (primal) would love those bars! Do you know which kind of cheese works best? Also, I could get cashew butter but I've already got some almond, do you think that would work?

I'm not the OP but thanks for sharing!  :)

You're welcome! It's my best culinary invention so far.

I've listed some alternatives on the site. For my last batch I used ground almonds and cream cheese with unflavoured why isolate. That didn't need any oil. I added orange flavouring and cocoa powder to the cream cheese. The cream cheese doesn't last so long in the fridge though.

As to what is best, it really depends on the quality of your protein powder. The ricotta came  about because it was the utter lowest in carbs I could find and also low in fat. If you need some calories then the fat in cream cheese makes a nice smooth tasting bar. Try it with the almond butter. That's really expensive here so I make my own from bulk nuts. Give it a bash! So long as you can mix it all up evenly into a firm square then you're good. Add more protein powder if necessary.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 10:43:33 AM »
Thanks! We don't count calories and carbs aren't an issue, either, since we don't eat grains (so we can afford other high-carb foods). As for dairy we actually prefer it as high-fat as we can get (as long as it's organic). I can't tell you how happy I was when I realized my body loves whole milk and real cream!!  ;D

I didn't realize that was your site, it's funny! I loved how all the FAQs started with "To make the original Jake Cake it does." I read DH the bit about the Red Bull reduction and he said "She made a what out of what?!" lol

Amava

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »
For a sweetener try using stevia instead. It's way better tasting than the other sweeteners out there and you can buy a bag of it made to be "cup for cup" the same as sugar re: measuring. You don't have to worry about conversions, and the flavor is really good. I use it in everything (that requires sugar).

Please be careful with the stevia - if someone is a supertaster, or sensitive to the specific enzymes in stevia, the stuff tastes like bitter nastiness and not at all sweet.

Ahhh, I think you just solved a small mystery in my family involving my sister tasting something "bitter" about a pie while nobody else tasted anything bitter about it. Yes, it was sweetened with stevia.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »

Ahhh, I think you just solved a small mystery in my family involving my sister tasting something "bitter" about a pie while nobody else tasted anything bitter about it. Yes, it was sweetened with stevia.

Here, too! I gave my mom my box of stevia because it tasted off and made my tongue feel weird. Everyone thought I was nuts. I am a "supertaster" (can't stand alcohol, sour, hot spices, etc.) so that makes total sense.

Only me

Re: Does this really exist???*post 20 OP
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 12:16:27 AM »
OP again.... Have been crazy busy with work

I was beginning to think I had imagined posting this question because I hadn't,the been able to see it in the past 2 days...but to answer some questions

-whatsanenigma yes artificial sweetness can verify used, although they are trying to avoid them.
My brother and one of his boys are on low carb diet and I was told no diary, no sugar and no gluten. I am trying gluten and wheat free for myself because of health issues and my body could use a break. My mom tried making muffins with almond flour instead of reference flour and she put blueberries in some. I tried them and didn't,the like them. One the other hand my nephew did and thought they tasted like pancakes. But since he wouldn't let me drown it in butter and syrup like a real pancake....well let's say I tried one and he had the rest ;)

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 03:19:27 AM »

I'd be interested to know if she can also taste aspartame and if cilantro tastes like soap, to her. Stevia tastes bitter and sour to me, I can taste aspartame and cilantro tastes like soap. I've been told it's genetic, but I don't know if they're all the same taste bud issue or if they're not related. But dark beers do not taste bitter to me, and broccoli tastes kind of sweet.

Back to the thread, I am a big meringue lover. I've made it successfully many times with sugar. I have tried many many times to make a meringue with all kinds of artificial sweeteners with absolutely no sugar, without luck. Many of the recipes I've seen need at least some sugar to help the egg whites be strong and sticky and retain air and be fluffy. If you do decide to do meringue without sugar, I'd try it ahead of time to be sure you have success with it.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 03:34:17 AM »
I didn't realize that was your site, it's funny! I loved how all the FAQs started with "To make the original Jake Cake it does." I read DH the bit about the Red Bull reduction and he said "She made a what out of what?!" lol

Lol! Thank you :-) It's my year end with Jake today. He was already in favour because last week he dived in front of a car with no brakes or driver to stop it hitting me. It was like watching Superman stop the train only with bigger muscles! Looking at my results over a year is even more impressive - six dress sizes lost. I'm slimmer now than when I was at school!

The Red Bull reduction came out like hard sugar. You could spin it and make shapes. Just no one liked it but me. It was like those sour cola bottles.

Back on topic: http://realsustenance.com/thin-mints-grainglutendairyeggsoy-free/

So many chemicals though.

whatsanenigma

Re: Does this really exist???*post 20 OP
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
OP again.... Have been crazy busy with work

I was beginning to think I had imagined posting this question because I hadn't,the been able to see it in the past 2 days...but to answer some questions

-whatsanenigma yes artificial sweetness can verify used, although they are trying to avoid them.

Well, here is what I would suggest, though it really has no name (it has been modified from a higher calorie version over the years) and my family just calls it "That Jello Stuff".

Basically, it's sugar free jello, plus sugar free cool whip, plus some fruit out of a can. The ratio is one box of jello to one container of cool whip to one can of fruit.

You make the jello, let it set about halfway, then stir in the fruit, then let it finish setting up, then stir in the cool whip.  Don't stir it very much, though! The sugar free cool whip is very vulnerable to melting in a weird way if you stir it too much.  Get the jello/fruit combination stirred up first and then add in the cool whip at the very end and stir it only as much as you need to.

One good combination is cherry or strawberry jello and mixed fruit.  Another is orange jello and mandarin oranges.  Either way, drain and rinse the fruit well before you add it, especially if the fruit is packed in juice instead of water. But you need to be careful not to let the fruit get smushed from too much washing.

Optional things to add are chopped nuts and mini marshmallows.  Given the dietary restrictions you are working with, I would advise putting bowls of these to the side to be added if someone wants them.

This does keep well in the fridge but is best served as soon as it is stirred up.

Hope that helps! It sounds like you have quite a challenge on your hands.

sweetonsno

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 01:59:49 AM »
I wonder if Stevia or another sweetener would work in macarons.

1 c. almond meal
1 c. granulated sweetener
3 egg whites
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. almond extract

Stir together almond meal and sweetener. Mix in egg whites (no need to whip them), mix in chocolate and extracts. If it's too soft to hold its shape, pop in the fridge for 10-15 mins. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 325 F. Make walnut-sized balls, put them on the baking sheet (12 per sheet; they'll spread) then bake for 10-12 minutes.