Poll

If you were fairly new to a position, would you ask for time off after your supervisor requested that you work over the holidays?  

Yes, I would ask for the time off
No, I would not request time off if I was previously asked to work during that time

Author Topic: Asking for time off during the holidays  (Read 15840 times)

snowdragon

Re: Asking for time off during the holidays
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

This story actually makes me quite angry. I would give my eye teeth for an entry level job in my chosen field, I am at the stage where I'm just taking temp jobs to stay afloat and hoping that something in my field will turn up. I am flabbergasted that someone would just throw an oppurtunity like that away. He must have a very poor grasp on reality :o

I feel the same way. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
My brother in law has a history of quitting (or getting fired from) jobs because they don't pay enough or give him off when he wants time off.  He doesn't realize that others his age (like me) worked our tails off 10 years ago to get to the position of being well paid and getting first choice of vacation days. He and I have similar education credentials and we are within 11 months the same age. 

I'm a manager making 3x the money he is, with none of the debt he carries... because I have a personal policy of no matter how bad a job is, I stay at least 1 full year.  I had a job about 10 years ago that was making me sick from stress - my hair was falling out, etc - but I knew it was an important resume credential so I stuck it out for 6 extra months, because the busy season was coming and I wanted the good reference (that I stayed through busy season), I wanted the money info on my resume (sales were rising from previous years, so I wanted to be able to put the increased profits on my resume) and I wanted to have been at the job a solid 2 years.  That experience got my foot in the door to better, easier, much happier jobs... which I always stuck out for years.  And now I'm in a good place professionally and BIL is on his 5th job this year alone and talking about quitting it (without something new lined up) because his hours are [male bovine excrement] and his pay is too low - all his peers are managers and professionals, etc and he thinks he should be making what they are making.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2012, 12:12:55 PM »

This story actually makes me quite angry. I would give my eye teeth for an entry level job in my chosen field, I am at the stage where I'm just taking temp jobs to stay afloat and hoping that something in my field will turn up. I am flabbergasted that someone would just throw an oppurtunity like that away. He must have a very poor grasp on reality :o

I feel the same way.

Count me in.