Author Topic: Presentation during interview  (Read 524 times)

redleaf

Presentation during interview
« on: December 08, 2012, 03:17:58 PM »
This isn't really an etiquette question, so I'll post it here:

If I have been asked to do a presentation during a skype interview, am I expected to give an actual 'stand up and present video/slides/power point' type presentation, or is it more of a 'stay seated and give a talk' type of presentation?

Opinions?  Or is there anyone who has done this before and has advice?  I have the topic, just am worrying about exactly how to present! 

NyaChan

Re: Presentation during interview
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »
I think you should present in the way that best gets across your subject matter.  If it is a lot of numbers, a chart would help.  If your mic isn't strong, you may even then be better off emailing them the chart to look at on their own while you explain from your seated position near the mic.  If you have a great A/V set up and think posters will help, by all means, set it up and go for it.  Just make sure they have a way to let you know if they can't see/hear you & keep an eye out for it yourself.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
I'm not real sure on how skype works. I thought it was just the video camera on your computer for a face-to-face presentation.

I'm guessing dress up and put on your interview face just like you would for a live interview . . . find an uncluttered/plain background.

If you have a portfolio or resume, I would send that to them prior to the interview just so that they can view it without internet hic-ups.

I've had many on-line meetings were the "shared screen" type of thing (not skype) didn't work and the meeting really went kaput because no-one could see what the presenter was talking about.

Maybe print out pertinent charts/graphics/bullet points to hold up to the camera while you're giving your presentation?

I'm curious to the responses that you'll receive to this post.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 06:22:32 PM »
If it is the type of presentation that you generally have slides for, I would contact the interviewer and ask if there will be a way to use those (send them ahead or share screen). If you don't usually use slides, I wouldn't add them in.

WestAussieGirl

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
I think it depends on the role.  If you think they would be mainly assessing your knowledge of the subject then I would go with a simple sit-down and present.  If they are more likely to be assessing your presenting, I would go for as complete a presentation as possible, while it still being clear and visible to the audience.  Can you practice with a friend over Skype (or just have the screen showing you).  See how much can be clearly seen and followed.

I will be doing some interviews next week and they will be required to present (face to face though). I don't care about their knowledge of the subject - I chose it randomly - I care about how well they can get the message across to me.