General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Online reviews for fanfiction and original fiction

(1/7) > >>

Adelaide:
I write a little bit on fanfiction.net and was pondering getting a fictionpress account. My question is about receiving reviews. I've gotten quite a few reviews on my stories, but all some of them say are "Please update soon!" or "Really good, update soon!" or "When's the next chapter coming?" or "When is [plot point] going to happen?"

I usually have an Author's Note at the end of my chapters that explains a couple of things, like if there's something I wanted to mention that's not in the chapter or an explanation if I've been gone a long time. It usually consists of something like "Thank you for reading! [stuff I want to mention] If you have time, reviews an constructive criticism are always appreciated."

I'm considering adding a note that says something akin to "I've been getting a lot of messages like this lately, but please don't tell me to update or ask me when my next update is going to be. I'm in graduate school and I'm very busy right now, so my updates are going to be sporadic for awhile." (By sporadic I mean I post about once every eight or nine days.)

Would this come across as rude or condescending? It could be seen as me demanding that the courtesy gift of a review be tailored to my specifications. However, I'm honestly sick of logging on and seeing (literally) six reviews, all in a line, that say "Please update soon!" It kind of takes the enjoyment out of something I do for fun and in my spare time. I don't expect reviews, but I also don't like to be bombarded with demands for more content. Is there a polite way to say this, or if I said anything would it be automatically rude, sort of like preempting a Christmas gift with "And I want this, this or this, and definitely not that or that."

NyaChan:
Every 8 or 9 days is not sporadic, that's actually really good!  I would just do a standard disclaimer re: updates, but informational not scolding -  "I try to update this story regularly, however, school comes first and I am quite busy right now.  Thank you for your patience and support!"  Then I'd ignore all requests for updates. 

Bellantara:
I wouldn't worry about explaining. As NyaChan said, eight or nine days is not at all sporadic! There are people on FFN who think a review is just saying "update soon"; they can't be bothered to write an actual, thoughtful review.

AngelicGamer:
Yeah - the only time I reply back to an "update soon" is when I know that I'm not going to be working on a story for a long while or if they give me a bit more than just that. 

I do agree that 8 to 9 days for an update is really good.  It's better than me - I've got a story that I haven't updated since March.

Lynn2000:

--- Quote from: Adelaide on December 08, 2012, 06:56:23 PM ---I'm considering adding a note that says something akin to "I've been getting a lot of messages like this lately, but please don't tell me to update or ask me when my next update is going to be. I'm in graduate school and I'm very busy right now, so my updates are going to be sporadic for awhile." (By sporadic I mean I post about once every eight or nine days.)

--- End quote ---

First, congrats on getting your writing out there! I write a lot but am way too chicken of criticism to post anything publicly. :)

Second, I think I would leave out the first sentence of your original wording. I know it's disappointing to think, "Yay, reviews!" and in reality it's only one line each, but I think requests for updates and other questions show a lot of interest in your work, which is itself complimentary. Kind of like asking for a second helping of the dinner you've made--they wouldn't ask for more if they didn't like it.

Archiveofourown has a feature called "kudos" which is basically a "like" button for stories, for people who can't or aren't interested in leaving even a single word as feedback. Of course they're really slow about adding new members (I was on the waiting list for three months) so the "kudos" feature is the only way guests can show appreciation for a work, I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version