Author Topic: Best gift for a 3 month old?  (Read 2712 times)

mmswm

Re: Best gift for a 3 month old?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
A savings bond isn't usually considered a good investment because your return is generally very tiny.  Generally, when people want to invest long term, they're interested in seeing their money "grow", which isn't going to happen with savings bonds (at least not beyond a paltry amount).  That said, I find the idea of investing in the child's future to be a wonderful gift.  If you're not financially savvy yourself, you could sit down with a banker or financial planner and discuss what the best way for you to do that for your niece would be.  At the very least, you can always open a "minor by" savings account so when she does grow up and you divulge the news of the existence of the account, she has easy access to it, as her name is on the account, as opposed to making her the beneficiary, which she would only get if you were to transfer the money to her, or become deceased.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2012, 04:11:33 PM »
My best friend, who is also the babe's godmother, decided that every year for his birthday she is going to send him a Lionel Train ornament from the Hallmark series along with adding to a savings bond she's going to start up so he can put it towards either college, a car or anything else.  He's 13 months and since we live in a town lousy with trains, he's seen them and seems to like them. :)  He can't really play with the ornaments now but in time he will like and appreciate them.  I let him look at the box when it came (with the ornament removed) this year and he was tickled with it.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CakeEater

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
I would be a bit uncomfortable with someone else opening a bank account with my baby's name on it without my knowldge. I actually have no idea, but can this affect their credit rating for the future if times got bad and you (generic gift giver) dipped into it and overdrew the account? To be clear, I'm not suggesting the OP would do this.

And again, I have no idea how savings bonds work, but does that mean I'll be inundated with mail etc for the next 18 years?

My other problem with someone investing on behalf of my children is that it kind-of implies that I can't be trusted to provide for my own kids and their future needs. I wouldn't be insulted enough to cut you off or even ever say anything but thank-you, but I'd get a vibe. People sometimes have a philosophy of raising their children whereby they don't especially want them to receive a wad of cash at age 18.

If you think the parents make fairly good financial decisions, and want to give the kid money, just ask how they would like to handle it. The gift is for the baby, not the parents, so you don't need to keep it a surprise for them, and the baby doesn't care anyway.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2012, 04:36:45 PM »
My other problem with someone investing on behalf of my children is that it kind-of implies that I can't be trusted to provide for my own kids and their future needs. I wouldn't be insulted enough to cut you off or even ever say anything but thank-you, but I'd get a vibe. People sometimes have a philosophy of raising their children whereby they don't especially want them to receive a wad of cash at age 18.

It wouldn't really occur to me to see an offer to help in this way as implying we can't provide for our kids and their future.  College can be expensive and if a family has a few kids close in age, or more than 2, affording college can get pricey, as can affording cars for them to drive when they get to be 16, unless you have a lot of money.   And I believe with savings bonds only the person who's name is on them can access the money when they hit the determined age.  A friend of mine used the savings bond her grandparents had for her to pay for a trade school.   And even though she's proud and didn't care for her grandparents much, she did admit the bond came in handy. 

And with the amount of people getting laid off, there's a possibility that a family who was doing well and saving good money for their children's future might end up in the position to dip into savings to support them until a new job can be found, including the $ that was being saved for their kids, if the period of unemployment continues long enough. 

If the child has a bond that no one but the child can access til they're 18 would ensure they still have money to put towards something once they're old enough. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

CakeBeret

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2012, 06:48:49 PM »
I would be a bit uncomfortable with someone else opening a bank account with my baby's name on it without my knowldge. I actually have no idea, but can this affect their credit rating for the future if times got bad and you (generic gift giver) dipped into it and overdrew the account? To be clear, I'm not suggesting the OP would do this.
[snipped]

No, the savings account would not affect the child's credit rating. The owner of the account would be affected and the child, being a minor, cannot be the owner; the child would be a beneficiary or similar.

As for the implication that the gift-giver doesn't trust the parents to provide for their kids' future, that honestly would have never occurred to me. I'm from a long line of lower-middle-class folk, and it's something that's done all the time. Nobody I know can afford to pay for their child's entire education, but gifts from family makes it more workable.

I, as well as most people I know, don't want our children receiving a wad of cash at age 18. And while many of my relatives give me money to put towards DS's future, that doesn't mean I plan to give him the lump sum on his 18th birthday.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »
Not sure how savings bonds work these days, but when my kids were little, you bought a $50 bond for $25 and in 18 years or so it would be worth its face value.

CakeEater

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:10:21 AM »
I guess a tertiary education costs a lot less here, so that's less of an issue for me. The wad of cash comment was made with regards to the savings bonds, which now they've been explained to me a bit more, sounds even more like the 18-year-old would be able to cash them in themselves for whatever purpose at age 18. More so than money in an account.

emwithme

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »
I'm not sure about savings bonds or stuff like that, but I am an experienced "Aunty" (I have 18 nieces & nephews ranging between 25 and 4 years - and I'm not yet 36). 

I buy books - for a three month old, I'd buy a couple of board/bath/cloth books that could be eaten/thrown/"loved" actively, and something like the Dr Seuss treasury that can be read again and again. 

This comes from an Aunty of mine who always used to buy me books (or, as I got older, give me book tokens so I could choose my own).  I still have some of those books now, and am buying newer editions of them for my nieces and nephews. 

lightning

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
I have a 10 month old-- and if you want to give her a thing, here are two suggestions--

If her parents are giving her pacifiers, Look into the Wubba nub pacifiers.  They are pacifiers with little stuffed animals on the end.  Here's one with a lamb--

http://www.amazon.com/WubbaNub-Lamb/dp/B003PCYMP4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1355152137&sr=8-4&keywords=wubbanub

He can find it easily at night in his crib.  It is also his favorite toy.

And then the Bestever baby mat.  Here's one with a lamb as well--

http://www.amazon.com/Bestever-02552-Baby-Mat-Lamb/dp/B001L0KUJY/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1355152190&sr=1-1&keywords=baby+mat

It is extra soft stuffed animal material on top.  My little guy crawls over to it when he is tired or wants to lay for a while, and he cuddles with it.  We have the monkey one.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 09:55:15 AM »
Books are great presents.  Even when Piratebabe was only about 4 months he was always fascinated when he'd see me turn on my Kindle and liked to look at the words on the screen, and he'd giggle when I'd read him Dr. Suess books.  These days he likes to look at books himself though he seems to be getting the most fun out of opening and closing them on my hands. LOL

Kitten Crush

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 03:35:57 PM »
My daughter loves her Taggie blanket. It's a soft small blanket with different colored tags running around the sides!
Teal'c: I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O.
Col. O'Neill: Call Daniel.

SheltieMom

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

I'm also getting her one of those little photo books that is a baby safe book but that the parent can put family pictures in, so the baby can look at pictures of familiar people.  Like this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J4U8L6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for posting this. I just bought one for my soon-to-be grandson! That's too cute!
If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »
My brother buys my kids a gold coin from the mint for occasions. It's solid gold, and for 'investment' purposes.

If you're looking for a long term investment, I think this is your best bet. If gold coins are more than you wanted to spend, you can look into silver.

And you can always add a fun, small gift, too. I agree with the PPs that I wouldn't buy something specific to the age of 3 months. They grow so quickly. You'll probably want to get something the child can still use in 6 months.