Author Topic: It's happening again!  (Read 1320 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
It's happening again!
« on: December 21, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »
Oh, these last few days before Christmas leave me in a 'too much to do so I won't do anything!" mood.  I mailed my cards yesterday!  They'll never get them on time!  I haven't wrapped a single gift.   I thought I had all my shopping done but a gift check today revealed that No, I had not completed my shopping!  I did get that done today in the midst of a horrible cold and violent rain and wind storm.  We went to the neighboring town to get a gift and almost got blown off the sidewalk.  It's located on a headland and the ocean was just wild.  I mean, wild!  Beautiful.  The wind was picking up that water and just heaving it all over the place.  You could see the energy in the swells.  Gosh...and me without my camera.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:52:29 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: It's happening again! It can
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:26 PM »
I mailed my cards yesterday!  They'll never get them on time!
I believe Miss Manners say that Christmas cards can be fairly mailed up to the 24th, after which they change to being New Year's greetings.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RubyCat

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, I mailed my Christmas cards this morning.  I have no gifts wrapped and still need to pick up something for my niece and nephew.  In the end, it all gets done.  Somehow...

oceanus

• pronounced o-see-ANN-us
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
I always get a few cards right after Christmas.  Usually they include a Happy New Year wish.  No biggie.

jane7166

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
Some of mine won't be on time.  So what.  I am tired of "It's Christmas" things.  Holidays seem to cause more anxiety than they are worth.  It's time to give it a rest, put your feet up, take care of that cold, and watch some old movies. 

"Christmas" is just another day.  Don't let it destroy you.

scotcat60

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:08:40 AM »
Some of mine won't be on time.  So what.  I am tired of "It's Christmas" things.  Holidays seem to cause more anxiety than they are worth.  It's time to give it a rest, put your feet up, take care of that cold, and watch some old movies. 

"Christmas" is just another day.  Don't let it destroy you.

POD! This is what I plan to do, for varying reasons which my family understand.  The most stressful things people cope with, it has been calculated, are changing one's job, moving house, going on holiday, and Christmas. And then you get the "Christmas is a time for families" adherants, most of whom forget that on many of  the remaining 364 days of the year the person they are inviting spends his or her time alone.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging responses, everyone. 
I'm less overwhelmed today because I got the wrapping and last minute buying done yesterday.  I set up the wrapping (which I really hate to do...I used to love it) in a very organized way, on a large clear surface.  I usually just do it wherever and end up gritting my teeth.  I listened to Frank Sinatra singing Christmas music and had the little heater going in the usually very cold room, so it was pleasant.  I allowed myself breaks now and then and tried to keep a centered demeanor.  It sure felt better than other recent years. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:54:00 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: It's happening again!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:58:58 PM »
I posted mine yesterday too- including the ones for  the US and New Zealand. I still haven't posted one US card because I can't for the life of me remember what their younger daughter is called!
NE England

MrsCrazyPete

Re: It's happening again!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »
Today was going to be my day that finished up all the loose ends...bake the last batch of pumpkin bread for a party tomorrow, wrap all the gifts, clean the house... Unfortunately, earlier this week, I tripped over my cat, landing on the edge of my tub with the side of my rib cage. So my ribs are severely bruised and just drawing a full breath is painful.

I got the gifts wrapped. My stepmom (who is hosting tomorrow's party), said not to worry about the bread and just concentrate on being able to be there. Cleaning the house is completely out of the question, and my lovely DH has vacuumed, done the dishes, and scrubbed the kitchen floor.

Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.