A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Bee Keeping Etiquette Update p. 25

(1/7) > >>

doodlemor:
There was an article in the Buffalo News today about a woman in a nearby suburb who wants to keep a beehive in her yard.

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121207/CITYANDREGION/121209258/1003

She wants to do this because it is good for the environment.  She already has a hive in a vacation home that she owns in a rural area, so she does have some bee-keeping experience.  She feels that she knows the proper bee keeping procedures and that her new residents would not bother the neighbors.

Two years ago bee lady sent the neighbors a letter that she intended to put a hive in her back yard.  She backed down then when some of the neighbors protested.

There is going to be a public hearing about her request to keep bees in her village.  One neighbor has already told the woman that she is extremely allergic to bee stings.

What do you think about this, ehellions?  At least one person [the allergic neighbor] is likely very opposed to having a hive nearby.   

Is the neighbor justified in protesting what the bee lady can do in her own yard, even if the village board approves the hive?

Even if the hive is approved, should the bee lady go ahead with her idea when some/one of her neighbors is very concerned about having more bees in the area?

I think that the basic etiquette questions here could be extended to those who want to keep chickens and goats in populated areas, too. 

Phoebelion:
I have mixed feelings on this one.

As long as the city allows it, the woman has the right.

But then, DH is also extremely allergic to bee stings - any kind of sting actually.  He carries an epie pen.  He's so bad he's been told he has 20 minutes to get to the hospital even with the epipen.  No more camping for us.  And certain bushes/flowers have been removed from our yard. 

I'd say it would be the degree of the allergy - maybe.  And how far the woman lives from her - maybe.   

If the city allows it, I think she should get the neighbors together and educate them on bees.  While they may have a wide flight range, I believe they are less volitile than other stinging insects. 

I honestly don't know what we'd do if a neighbor kept bees.   

veryfluffy:
As long as something is legal, and the person follows the rules and best practice on their own property, I don't think it crosses into the bounds of etiquette. Bees, perhaps, do spread out of the owner's yard -- but if you are allergic then it is up to you not to have anything in your garden that will attract them.

Otherwise, how far does this extend? Bees can range over quite a wide area, so what if the neighbour three doors down has them? Should your next-door neighbour on the other side cut down their apple tree to make sure the bees don't fly past your yard to get there?

camlan:
I have really mixed feelings about this. I know someone who keeps bees at his vacation house, and no one has ever been stung there. But the hives are a distance from the house, and there's plenty of vegetation all around, flowers, strawberry bushes, grasses, etc.

It seems a little Special Snowflaky to me to want a second hive when she can have all the bee hives she wants at her vacation home. Why does she need to have one at her other home? And if it is a typical suburban environment, the bees may have to search longer distances to find pollen.

On the other hand, bees will set up a hive anywhere they want to. So there could be a hive on your property or your neighbor's and you'd have no warning about it, until you came face to face with a bee. It's not like she's introducing a danger that could only be present if a person introduced it--bees can live just about anywhere.

What it comes down to, for me, is that she can have as many bee hives as she wants at her vacation home. Therefore, I think she should be content with them, and not try to introduce a hive into an area where she knows at least one person is very allergic to bees.

DollyPond:
But you just KNOW that as soon as Allergic Lady gets stung (by anything, be it a bee or a wasp) she'll be blaming BeeKeeper and wanting to sue.  If BeeKeeper had not informed the neighbors all would probably be well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version