Author Topic: Bee Keeping Etiquette Update p. 25  (Read 3234 times)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: Bee Keeping Etiquette
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2012, 04:21:22 PM »
She's perfectly welcome to keep bees on her property, just as I'm perfectly welcome to put insecticide on mine.  If her bees stay in her yard, there's no problem   8)

Not always true. If you lived in my town, you would require a permit to apply any sort of pesticide (insect, weeds, rodents) to any sort of growing part of your lawn.

MindsEye

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
I agree with a lot of posters that if beekeeping is permitted where the lady in the linked story lives, then she should be able to freely have a hive in her backyard (with all caveats about following best practices and being a responsible beekeeper etc etc). 

Honestly, I think that the only mistake that she made was in soliciting feedback from her neighbors first, which gave the neighbors the impression that they could veto her plans.

In my neighborhood, the zoning allows for backyard beekeeping (1 hive only).  The zoning also allows for up to three chickens, but no roosters, and has some general guidelines for coop construction/maintenance.

If I wanted to have a hive or a couple of chickens, I wouldn't bother asking my neighbors their opinion first.  What if they said that they didn't want me to have a hive/coop?  Then if I went ahead with my plans anyway, relations would be soured.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 11:01:32 AM »
I think the neighbor might actually want to rethink this. Having kept honeybees in the area can actually reduce the number of feral bees, or other stinging insects. And because they are gentle, this might result in a decrease in stinging.

I do think that if you keep bees in an urban or semi-urban environment it's important to take steps to limit exposure to neighbors. This means pointing the hive entrance away from common pathways, putting in a fence or bush that will encourage the bees to go up (they are generally above head level after 10 feet). Making sure you provide water so they aren't at the pool next door looking for a drink. And educating the locals about bees. (Sending around jars of honey doesn't hurt).

Bees will range far and wide, sometimes as much as 3 miles to find flowers. So it almost doesn't matter where the hive is, the poor little creatures travel. Oddly, beekeeping in a suburban neighborhood might result in more honey than in a rural area, because the concentration of flowers is often higher.

Then again, if she's only getting a few quarts, she's a pretty low-key beekeeper. The hives near me average about 40 lbs a year. Oh, and I spent a summer apprenticing at the local apiary to learn before I get my beehive up and running this year. I wasn't stung once. And that's with having to actually handle the bees. I'm even at a point where I don't wear gloves unless it's honey harvest time. Bees are much gentler than I ever realized, it's that they look a lot like other things and they get a bad rep.

A tip for anyone who carries an epi-pen, carry an anti-histamine too. It will help dampen the reaction significantly. I'm allergic to spider bites (probably only one kind, but they can't test it) and I carry both. It was the anti-histamine that saved my life.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 11:07:57 AM »
I agree with a lot of posters that if beekeeping is permitted where the lady in the linked story lives, then she should be able to freely have a hive in her backyard (with all caveats about following best practices and being a responsible beekeeper etc etc). 

Honestly, I think that the only mistake that she made was in soliciting feedback from her neighbors first, which gave the neighbors the impression that they could veto her plans.

In my neighborhood, the zoning allows for backyard beekeeping (1 hive only).  The zoning also allows for up to three chickens, but no roosters, and has some general guidelines for coop construction/maintenance.

If I wanted to have a hive or a couple of chickens, I wouldn't bother asking my neighbors their opinion first.  What if they said that they didn't want me to have a hive/coop?  Then if I went ahead with my plans anyway, relations would be soured.

If I read the article correctly, while bee hives are legal in the area, you still have to get permission to have one, and you have to notify all neighbors within a certain radius.

Which I interpret as, bee hives are legal, but you have to get permission for one, and if there are serious enough reasons why the neighbors don't want one, you might not get permission.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

CaptainObvious

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »
She's perfectly welcome to keep bees on her property, just as I'm perfectly welcome to put insecticide on mine.  If her bees stay in her yard, there's no problem   8)

Without getting too much into the details, In some communities it is illegal to kill honeybees or spray any kind of pesticides on plants that honeybees pollinate.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »
It's legal, so as long as she handles her bees properly I don't see a problem.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 01:45:01 PM »

If I read the article correctly, while bee hives are legal in the area, you still have to get permission to have one, and you have to notify all neighbors within a certain radius.

Which I interpret as, bee hives are legal, but you have to get permission for one, and if there are serious enough reasons why the neighbors don't want one, you might not get permission.

Not necessarily. In my area, you have to register your hives with the state, and they do inspections from time to time. This is because they are concerned about the bees and their health. Right now, we don't have heavy varroea mite infestations, and we're trying to keep it that way. By forcing people to register their hives it lets the state keep an eye out for the bees health.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 02:24:37 PM »
Where I live, you may keep 2 hives, but they have to be 25 feet (7.6 m) away from a road and 15 feet (4.5 m) away from the neighbors' property.

I took a serious college course in bee biology and I am actually certified to be a government bee inspector, although I only did it once. I was meeting with a bee inspector on an unrelated issue and, knowing my interest in bees, he invited me to go out with him after our meeting. He rounded up a bee suit for me, but when we got to the site, we realized that we'd forgotten boots, so I just wore my street shoes. I had just started smoking a hive, when I looked up & there he was, snapping away with his camera. The pictures looked pretty much like this:

Just replace the boots with bright red high heels.

The picture was shared with many & haunted me for years.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

doodlemor

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
Thanks guys, for all of the responses.  It never occurred to me that so many of you knew so much about bees, or were so interested. 

I still haven't sorted out exactly how I think on the topic. 

The village board meeting is tonight, and I presume that the newspaper will have a follow up article either tomorrow or Wednesday.  I'll keep you posted.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 03:19:16 PM »
I'm severely allergic to honeybee stings and as long as she follows rules set by the village, I would not have a problem with it. Honeybees are (usually) not aggressive and I was only stung because I was running around the backyard barefoot and stepped on one.  We have flowering vines on our back fence that the bees are very fond of and I am able to use my backyard without any problems.

doodlemor

« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »
Update:

None of the opponents of the bee hive showed up at the town board meeting, and the bee lady gets to have her hive.  About five people spoke up in favor of the hive.  Here is a link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121211/CITYANDREGION/121219875

The bee lady says that she is going to set up the new hive in April by ordering a pound of bees, about 10, 000.  I had no idea that bees are sold by the pound!

Again, thanks to all who responded.  I certainly learned a lot from you all.

Phoebelion

Re: Bee Keeping Etiquette Update p. 25
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
MorgnsGrl  and others.  Thanks for the additional info about multiple epie pens.  Docs never said anything about that.  Will get script for additional pens at his March doc visit.   Heaving sigh of relief. 

Erich L-ster

Re: Bee Keeping Etiquette Update p. 25
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 06:51:08 PM »
I'm glad the hive is going to go up. The only times I've been stung by honey bees were my own fault for walking barefoot and not seeing them in the clover. I stepped on them accidentally so I "attacked" first. I've touched them with my hands on flowers and in my experience they don't sting unless you trap or hurt them.

Wasps, on the other hand, will sting repeatedly without provocation AND don't provide any honey! Little @#$%ers!

Minmom3

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »
*** clipped ***
I've only ever gotten stung by accidentally disturbing a hive when I was a child...it was in a fallen log and my foot went through it as I went over it,

I was running down a very steep hillside at age 5, and my foot slipped under a board/log/branch/woodenthingIdon'tknow - and I kicked the hive.  Racing home, the swarm followed us, and I got more than 100 stings.  I've gotten maybe 5 stings in all the decades since (I'm 57), and I'm used to puffing bees off of me, with no bad reaction on their part.  I think the only frightening bee incident I've had as an adult was when a bee got stuck in DD#3's hair, and was flying around trying to get away, and she was screaming (10 years old?) and I had to pull the bee out of her hair, trying HARD not to get stung, figure out what body part I had hold of, and get the thing OUT...  Much drama! Bees don't generally bother me, but wasps do make me nervous.  They have shorter tempers!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

snowdragon

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 01:28:27 AM »
Update:

None of the opponents of the bee hive showed up at the town board meeting, and the bee lady gets to have her hive.  About five people spoke up in favor of the hive.  Here is a link:

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121211/CITYANDREGION/121219875

The bee lady says that she is going to set up the new hive in April by ordering a pound of bees, about 10, 000.  I had no idea that bees are sold by the pound!

Again, thanks to all who responded.  I certainly learned a lot from you all.

This is literally in my backyard. I went to the Village Board meeting on it - just in case she needed back up that this is wanted. I am allergic to bees, also. I have no issue with her having this many bees close to my house,  in fact I welcome them...they are good for the environment( and hopefully she will sell honey at the village market). 
  Historically, even the Village of Lancaster has been considered rural, and with in my lifetime sheep were farmed with in walking distance of where she wants these bees. There was very little chance she would not get approval, very little. Even the woman who is allergic would not have stopped this, unless she took it to court - even then it would be a tough fight.
  I am thrilled that this is going ahead, for more reasons than are appropriate to talk about here.  I do think that Lancaster will see more such ventures soon.  ;D ;D ;D