Author Topic: Using One Envelope for Thank You Card and Christmas Card? - UPDATE #19  (Read 3920 times)

StuffedGrapeLeaves

I have some thank you cards to send out from DS's birthday party (it was two days ago), and also Christmas cards to the same people.  Would it be tacky or OK to send the thank you card and the Christmas card in the same envelope? 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 10:06:19 AM by StuffedGrapeLeaves »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Using One Envelope for Thank You Card and Christmas Card?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
I have some thank you cards to send out from DS's birthday party (it was two days ago), and also Christmas cards to the same people.  Would it be tacky or OK to send the thank you card and the Christmas card in the same envelope?

I think it probably borders on tacky.  WHat is the point?  If you put two cards in the same envelope you might have to pay increased postage.  You would have to address fewer envelopes but then it kind of sends the message that oyu feel like they aren't worth writing out hte address twice which is where the potential for offense comes in.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
Yes, you're right.  I know I'm overthinking this.  It wouldn't be increased postage, but it would probably look tacky.  Thanks!   :)

EmmaJ.

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 12:48:28 PM »
I vote two separate cards, two separate envelopes also.

Penguin_ar

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
How old is DS?  If he is old enough to write his own cards, I vote like the others- two cars in two envelopes.
If he is little, I vote just an extra note of thanks inside the Christmas card.

emwithme

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
OK, I'm tacky then  :-[

I recently sent my wedding thank you cards.  I addressed the envelope (informal names) and then put it inside the christmas card which was then "properly" addressed.  It didn't increase my postage costs (as both were relatively thin and light), and meant that I finally had the impetus to get my thank you cards out - and actually send my christmas cards "early" for me!

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:12:47 PM »
Sounds fine to me.

A condalence card and a Christmas card together? -Nope. But two happy event cards together seems fine to me.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:33 PM »
We do this. 

When a Holiday gift arrives early, we just write a TYN in the Christmas card we send to the giver.    We've never had a complaint about this. 

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
It sounds pretty practical to me; I don't think it's tacky at all. I'd probably put the thank-you card in its own envelope, but mostly so that I don't have a random envelope lying around. :P
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
This wouldn't bother me at all. You're unlikely to have increased postage unless they're some seriously heavy cards. If they're people you have a more formal relationship with, I'd be more cautious, but with good friends and family, I'd do one envelope.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »
I vote you're ok to do one envelope. No one I know would be offended by this.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 12:05:17 AM »
Tacky with a capital T.   

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 12:09:55 AM »
OK, I'm tacky then  :-[

I recently sent my wedding thank you cards.  I addressed the envelope (informal names) and then put it inside the christmas card which was then "properly" addressed.  It didn't increase my postage costs (as both were relatively thin and light), and meant that I finally had the impetus to get my thank you cards out - and actually send my christmas cards "early" for me!

How long ago was your wedding? 

It is  rude and tacky to include a TY note for a gift giving occasion such as a wedding when people took the time to attend and bring you a gift and then combine a TY with a holiday greeting?   A TY should be one in itself to thank someone for their attendance/gift, not a convenient way to combine Merry Christmas with Thanks for the blender.     

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »
I would slip a handwritten thank you note (not a card, but a nice note) inside the Christmas card. Two cards inside one envelope seems a little odd to me, for some reason. This isn't about the number of envelopes the recipient will get. I can't, however, imagine why this would be considered tacky at all.

CakeEater

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 06:08:57 AM »
Not at all tacky. I think it's ridiculous when my bank sends me two letters in two different envelopes, I think receiving two letters from the same friend in two envelopes on the same day would be even sillier. I'm pretty practical about these sorts of things, though.