Author Topic: Some ideas for XMAS dinner  (Read 1533 times)

POF

Some ideas for XMAS dinner
« on: December 10, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
Usually we have a large group for XMAs - but this year, just the 4 of us and my MIL. I usually go all out with an italian spread - but now I think maybe I should do something different.

I could do turkey or ham, but with 5 of us ... maybe stuffed shrimp or pork roast or .... geez I don't know.  I am a good cook - I've never tackled a prime rib and we will eat anything :)

Hit me with some ideas ! Thanks

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: Some ideas for XMAS dinner
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 08:06:33 PM »
I do this for christmas every year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette

It's great with a small group of people and is very easy to make. okay you have to have some specialized equipment but I use it enough times that it is worth it.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 08:27:08 PM »
How about duck?  (Because I was just thinking about the move A Christmas Story before I saw this thread  ;D)

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
This year it is just BF and I, but we have been considering inviting a (female) former co-worker of his who may be all alone on the holiday. So, for 3 persons (could be stretched to 4-5):
 Beer-boiled shrimp cocktail
 Ham with cranberry-orange glaze
 Potato casserole ( made with sour cream, cream cheese, and white pepper)
 Boneless rolled turkey breast
 Spinach-ricotta-mushroom stuffing
 Marinated asparagus
 Dessert = some kind of cake or cupcake with a candle for my birthday surprise

If it`s just the two of us, we will skip the turkey breast & stuffing.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
We made a christmas goose one year when we had a small group because we had never had one.  It was good but would not be appreciated by a large part of our normal holiday gathering.

Prime rib and Yorkshire puddings is fun and really not that nuch trouble.

If your family likes pork, this is outstanding. I get raves every time I serve it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Prosciutto-Stuffed-Pork-Tenderloin-with-Mushroom-Sauce-107649

buvezdevin

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
Agreeing that goose, or prime rib are lovely, often served for holiday meals and can be done for a small group without massive leftovers.

I am wondering if you want to do a big sit down meal, or might want to try an array of more substantial apps over a time then serve a special but not "big" meal?  If you like going "all out" but in a different way than a big meal spread, that could let you still prepare a variety of festive foods.  Or, would you  enjoy scaling back your usual efforts, and wanting thought on how to do a meal for a smaller group but keeping the festive celebratory spirit?
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:40 PM »
I vote for a pork roast. Rub lots of spices all over it and slow roast it...yummmm. Serve with roasted potatoes and bacon-wrapped asparagus.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Amara

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 10:22:07 PM »
If you don't mind going all out, how about Lobster Thermidor? The recipe ( http://www.food.com/recipe/lobster-thermidor-a-la-julia-child-57196 ) by Julia Child, published in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, is fantastic. If this is too much work, how about boiled lobsters or crabs with a couple of side sauces?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »
If you are a member of Costco, they have FABULOUS prime rib at Xmas.  Very affordable *for prime rib* and very good quality meat.  They have a plain roast or a fully seasoned with garlic.  Had both.  The latter is amazing.  Be there early on the 23rd to get the best one.  The 24th is leaving it too late.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 09:49:12 AM »
Leg of Lamb - http://dinnerwithjulie.com/2009/04/06/slow-cooked-leg-of-lamb-with-garlic-lemon-and-rosemary-and-lemon-potatoes-with-garlic-oregano/

I make my garlic-rosemary paste with butter instead of olive oil but either way, it's super easy to make.
The days are long but the years are short.

POF

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 01:08:30 PM »
mmmm thanks for all the really great ideas .... I need todecide soon - so I will let you know .

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 02:12:16 PM »
We always eat prime rib with yorkshire pudding on Christmas Eve and Ham on Christmas Day (I never want another Turkey just one month after having one).  The Day after Christmas is always leftover Ham with fresh pinto beans (made in the crockpot- DH calls it brown beans and ham) and homemade cornbread.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
We are a family of 5 and we'll be having a nice big hunk of spiral-cut ham (Costco, yay!), sweet potato casserole, "princess pudding" (A "fruit salad" made with instant vanilla pudding, buttermilk, cool whip, mandarin oranges and pineapple. My kids tell me it's not a holiday meal without it.), garlic green beans and mashed potatoes for my boy who doesn't care for sweet potato but loves him some mashies. I'll also have a veggie tray and some sliced meat and cheese for nibbling on while we watch Christmas movies all day.

baritone108

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Duck or goose are usually smaller than a turkey and are as easy to cook.  You could also try cornish hens.  Everyone gets their own little stuffed bird.

doodlemor

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
Perhaps you would like to still do some Italian things.  Here is a great website to a great magazine for inspiration.

http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/

Maybe your family would like some of your favorites, and some new things.