Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Telling (crumby) guests what to do

<< < (3/3)

rashea:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 12, 2012, 06:59:01 PM ---
Although not fully PA, you were very passive and got what you asked for. Next time, ask for what you want.

--- End quote ---

This line really stood out to me. So often we try to ask something in a passive way and are upset when we don't get what we want. I needed this reminder today for other reasons, so I'm grateful for this.

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: rashea on December 13, 2012, 09:04:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on December 12, 2012, 06:59:01 PM ---
Although not fully PA, you were very passive and got what you asked for. Next time, ask for what you want.

--- End quote ---

This line really stood out to me. So often we try to ask something in a passive way and are upset when we don't get what we want. I needed this reminder today for other reasons, so I'm grateful for this.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's a really good point and applies to so many situations. Hinting doesn't always work--sometimes people just don't get the hint and take your words at face value!

Just Lori:
How about saying, "Oh dear, I didn't realize the crackers were so crumbly.  Here, let me get you a plate."  That way, you're accusing the darn crackers of being messy, not the guests.

Biker Granny:
I'm reminded of a time when a friend was over and set his drink on my nice clean coffee table....the coasters were less than a foot away.  I got up and gently put the coaster under his drink.

His response? (he's not a class act in any way) "Like I'm going to hurt that cheap thing."
I calmly went to my cleaning supplies and set the Pledge and rag right next to him.  My sweet reply?  "here ya go....for when you're done." >:D

I agree with the others...future reference put the snacks farther away from the seating.

CakeEater:

--- Quote from: Just Lori on December 13, 2012, 10:11:35 AM ---How about saying, "Oh dear, I didn't realize the crackers were so crumbly.  Here, let me get you a plate."  That way, you're accusing the darn crackers of being messy, not the guests.

--- End quote ---

I love this one!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version