Author Topic: Melted chocolate chips  (Read 1567 times)

RobinJ

Melted chocolate chips
« on: December 11, 2012, 01:51:49 PM »
I went to the store the other day and bought A LOT of chocolate chips.  Milk and dark chocolate.  I guess the grocery bag was too near the heater in my van and the chips melted.  Whoops!  There go the chocolate chip cookies.  Now I have a few huge bags (think Costco size) of melted and re-hardened chocolate chips.  I need a few recipes, please, to use them all.

I did get more chocolate chips and the CC cookies have been made.  Virtually sending cookies to all who read this!   ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Melted chocolate chips
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:40 PM »
I would do an experiment and melt some, drizzling on a toasted english muffin, just to make sure they are still OK.   ;)

If they are, in fact, OK, start looking for cookie recipes that call for them to be dipped in melted chocolate.  Peanut butter balls and filbert (hazelnut) fingers from the Company's Coming cookie book come to mind right off the top of my head.

You could also do a chocolate fondue - mixing the milk and dark chocolate or having them individually.

Add drizzled chocolate to any cookies you bake.  It would be good on shortbread and my gingerbread recipe calls for some cocoa so I don't see why you couldn't drizzle those, too.  Chocolate drizzled on top of rice crispie squares is good, too.  Make a banana loaf and drizzle some chocolate on top.

Break the pieces up with a hammer and make chocolate chunk cookies instead of chocolate chip cookies.

Make some 'bark' - melted chocolate and other ingredients with almonds or other nuts.

ETA:  Sorry - got a little carried away there.  Just picture me as Homer with my tongue hanging out and drooling.  Hmmmm... chocolate.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
You can break it into chunks and freeze what you don't want to use right away. Outdoor Girl has some great suggestions. I would also add truffles, a large batch of hot cocoa, French silk pie. Use a vegetable peeler to make decorative chocolate curls.

You could make some stocking stuffer type treats:

Chocolate dipped marshmallows
Chocolate dipped candy canes
Chocolate dipped spoons (for stirring up a cup of cocoa or coffee)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:35:31 PM by CakeBeret »
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Redwing

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
Use them to make these English toffee cookies such as these:  http://mygingerbreadmen.blogspot.com/2012/01/english-toffee-cookies.html
They're delicious and very easy to make!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
one of my favorite cookies uses melted chocolate.
Make a basic meringue. Pipe out two shapes of cookies - short wide disks (use a wet finger to smooth out the top) and tall-ish thin rods (also flatten the tops of these).  Bake.  Then paint (or pour or dip) the bottom of the disk in chocolate and place upside down (aka chocolate side up).  While the chocolate is still melted stick a skinny meringue in the middle.  Let cool. Flip over and enjoy delicious, low-fat cookies that picky eaters and small children will pass over because they think they are mushrooms!

https://www.google.com/search?q=mushroom+meringue+cookies&hl=en&client=Flamingvixen-a&hs=lxW&sa=X&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&ei=SYvHUKO_B--n0AH01YH4Cg&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1143&bih=633

Green Bean

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:43:14 PM »
Chocolate covered pretzel rods

Saltine bark

Mikayla

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 03:06:39 PM »
For the white choco....peppermint bark!  There's a ton of recipes online, and it couldn't be easier.  In fact, you'd need to melt it anyway.  Just mix in crushed candy canes and bake.

You could probably do this with the brown if you wanted.  Maybe if you could find some uniquely colored canes it would look really festive.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 07:38:05 PM »

For the white chocolate - two parts chocolate, one part dried cranberries, one part chopped walnuts, grated lemon zest. Melt the chocolate with the zest, mix in the fruit and nuts, let cool a bit, and either form into clusters, or spoon into small chocolate wrappers.  Very good!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
Use them as chocolate chunks in brownies.

Rohanna

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
If they are actual chocolate, not faux-chocolate, you can make ganache or truffles from them. Basic truffles are very simple to make, and if you add a strong flavour oil like almond or peppermint, they will taste fine (I prefer "plain" truffles to be made from a nicer chocolate, but have successfully made flavoured ones from excess chocolate chips).
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
you can make chocolate pinecones with the extra chocolate.  Ganache is another option, it can be used to coat cakes and cookies; or if soft enough (more cream) it can be cooled and whipped or piped as a filling or topping.

You can also add it to icing for cakes and cupcakes.

RobinJ

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 01:17:12 PM »
Thanks for all these great suggestions.  My mind drew a blank.  Guess I had been focusing on the chocolate chip cookie aspect of it so much and my mind would not change.

Pasty Goddess - Chocolate Pinecones?

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:27 PM »
I give you.......

Chocolate Pinecones!!! Dark and White Chocolate are the best to use.  If you are addicted to sparkle, you can add edible glitter to them as well

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2009/12/chocolate-pinecone-cake-and-how-to.html

Redwing

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 02:16:19 PM »
I give you.......

Chocolate Pinecones!!! Dark and White Chocolate are the best to use.  If you are addicted to sparkle, you can add edible glitter to them as well

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2009/12/chocolate-pinecone-cake-and-how-to.html

I followed the link.  I can see why you are the PastryGoddess!  My hat is off to your talents!

doodlemor

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »
A lot of cookie recipes call for chopped or chunked chocolate.  If there is someone at your house with a strong arm you could get them busy chopping and chunking the stuff, and you could still do the toll house cookies.

You could remelt this with heavy cream to make ganache to pour on cakes, or hot on ice cream.

I just thought of another one.  Doesn't that fudge recipe that contains marshmallow fluff use semisweet chocolate?  Maybe you could make up a big batch of that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:35:22 PM by doodlemor »