Author Topic: Does an engagement change things? UPDATE #15  (Read 10089 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Does an engagement change things? New development #6
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:56 AM »
Anyways, once everyone was there, he had everybody sit down on the couches and chairs and insisted that someone record it because he was sure to get tired of retelling it over and over, while he related the story of the proposal evening.  This took a full 1.5 hours & included visual aids and a movie of a good 20 minutes of the night.  A friend of Todd's who I don't know well was quite drunk at the bar and told me that she gulped a large glass of vodka with a splash of OJ to get through it.  Guess that explains the drunkenness...

Ahahaha! That Todd, he cracks me up. I can't wait for the wedding and the birth of the first child. I think Vodka Drinking friend had the right idea.

I see Todd as someone who thinks he's in a movie. He seems to want everything to be a parade.

Somehow I get this impression of him, like Roxie in Chicago, literally seeing the world around him as a movie or a stage performance - in this case, probably a classic Hollywood musical, or a more contemporary Bollywood one. Something with lots of colors, music, and random dance numbers.

We may need an e-Hell drinking game* for Todd. For every time OP reports he decided a wedding-related event that should encompass a few hours gets expanded to a few days, take a drink. Every time he tells someone new about the proposal with an overabundance of detail, take a drink - two if he re-hashes the history of their entire relationship in the telling. Take another if he threatens to break out the video - 2 if he actually does it. One drink for every slide of a Power Point presentation he does about their relationship at any wedding-related event - finish the glass if there's a movie involved. If the bachelor/bachelorette parties require airfare expenditures for all and encompass a weekend or more, drink a full glass. If they plan a week-long destination wedding, drink 2 glasses. Raise a toast to the happy couple regardless - make it 2 if they get through all this without Todd permanently alienating any friends. Then another for all the friends.

* For the sakes of our livers and Polite Spines, and while keeping in the festive spirit of the happy occasion, I will suggest the use of sparkling cider for this game.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BarensMom

Re: Does an engagement change things? UPDATE #15
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2012, 01:06:11 AM »
I'm wondering about the story of the honeymoon night and will Todd be using visual aids?

Nya-Chan, you and your friends need to run in the opposite direction when you see him coming.  He must think he is Cecil B. DeMille, reincarnated.

Iris

Re: Does an engagement change things? New development #6
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »
Anyways, once everyone was there, he had everybody sit down on the couches and chairs and insisted that someone record it because he was sure to get tired of retelling it over and over, while he related the story of the proposal evening.  This took a full 1.5 hours & included visual aids and a movie of a good 20 minutes of the night.  A friend of Todd's who I don't know well was quite drunk at the bar and told me that she gulped a large glass of vodka with a splash of OJ to get through it.  Guess that explains the drunkenness...

Ahahaha! That Todd, he cracks me up. I can't wait for the wedding and the birth of the first child. I think Vodka Drinking friend had the right idea.

I see Todd as someone who thinks he's in a movie. He seems to want everything to be a parade.

Somehow I get this impression of him, like Roxie in Chicago, literally seeing the world around him as a movie or a stage performance - in this case, probably a classic Hollywood musical, or a more contemporary Bollywood one. Something with lots of colors, music, and random dance numbers.

We may need an e-Hell drinking game* for Todd. For every time OP reports he decided a wedding-related event that should encompass a few hours gets expanded to a few days, take a drink. Every time he tells someone new about the proposal with an overabundance of detail, take a drink - two if he re-hashes the history of their entire relationship in the telling. Take another if he threatens to break out the video - 2 if he actually does it. One drink for every slide of a Power Point presentation he does about their relationship at any wedding-related event - finish the glass if there's a movie involved. If the bachelor/bachelorette parties require airfare expenditures for all and encompass a weekend or more, drink a full glass. If they plan a week-long destination wedding, drink 2 glasses. Raise a toast to the happy couple regardless - make it 2 if they get through all this without Todd permanently alienating any friends. Then another for all the friends.

* For the sakes of our livers and Polite Spines, and while keeping in the festive spirit of the happy occasion, I will suggest the use of sparkling cider for this game.

Sounds good. Especially given that we will probably get to stretch those drinks out over a year or so. I have a feeling if we did it all in one go we'd all die of liver failure, or possibly just drown  ;)
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Shopaholic

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:41 AM »
Take this as your fair warning of what you can expect from Todd for the rest of your lives.

You know the saying "Fool me once, Shame on you!" "Fool me twice, Shame on me". That applies here, except I'd call it "Stomp on me like a doormat once, Shame on you!"  "Stomp on me like a doormat twice, Shame on me!"

DO NOT under ANY circumstances, allow him to tell you about the birth of their first child!!!!!

Or about its conception...

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2012, 12:41:04 PM »
To: Todd
Subject: Orbits

Neither you, nor Jenny, nor your relationship are at the center of the Universe. Please behave accordingly.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Tia2

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
My advice (which of course you are welcome to ignore) is to refuse to be a bridesmaid if asked.  The only exception is if you are extremely wealthy and have no problem shelling out the cash on designer bridesmaid gowns, 4 showers, a hen night that is a 4 day weekend at a pricy spa etc.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2012, 02:27:33 PM »
Take this as your fair warning of what you can expect from Todd for the rest of your lives.

You know the saying "Fool me once, Shame on you!" "Fool me twice, Shame on me". That applies here, except I'd call it "Stomp on me like a doormat once, Shame on you!"  "Stomp on me like a doormat twice, Shame on me!"

DO NOT under ANY circumstances, allow him to tell you about the birth of their first child!!!!!

It sounds like his video wouldn't just cover delivery, it would start with the conception.  :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."