Author Topic: Holiday open house menu ideas...  (Read 2781 times)

Oh Joy

Re: Holiday open house menu ideas...
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
It all sounds yummy, but I'd suggest either making just a mix of light and heavy appetizers, or doing mostly meal-type items with just two or three light appetizers.  Depends whether you think most of your guests will want to snack or have a meal. 

But keep all of the desserts!   ;D

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
This is a weird party - my husband describes it as two different parties happening at the same time.  There's a holiday open house, where some people stay for hours and some just for a drink, where elegant apps and nice drinks are idea, and then there's a cookie decorating party for small children, and dinner.  Hence the very kid-friendly ham and roast beef (I tried turkey previously - too much work and apparently more people like beef).  I want to find a way to integrate them better - actually I prefer an intimate dinner for 6 or 8, with kids either fed first and tearing around my basement, or, better yet, with no kids (but I think I have another 18 years on that one...)

Actually I'm now baking a second set of desserts.  This is the first no-nut allergy group in a long time, so I went nuts pre-baking and put nuts in a lot of things.  My dear 17 year old nephew - who I adore - just invited himself for the weekend since he had a class trip cancelled.  Actually, I suspect he invited himself for a week - which would be annoying if I wasn't a SAHM and he wasn't a very chill kid.  He's very, very nut allergic (and why I almost never bake with nuts, because I hate making a dish or especially dessert he can't have).  So..... now there's about to be another set of cookies and I'm adding some cakes!   

Oh, and re table space - I'm renting (hopefully if they have some available!) some folding tables and chairs.  They're ugly as all get-out, but I can set them up in the basement and they can be moved away from the play area easily - so the kids especially and anyone who wants to can have a space to eat.

Of course, I could just buy a bigger house!  But then again the tiny house has some major advantages. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
What about asparagus?  It's finger food.   :)

And I understand about having the penne, especially for the kids.  If you have a few table spots for the kids and any folks who would have trouble with eating off their lap, I think it will work out fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2012, 11:15:37 AM »
Now I'm hungry!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 11:42:06 AM »
This is a weird party - my husband describes it as two different parties happening at the same time.  There's a holiday open house, where some people stay for hours and some just for a drink, where elegant apps and nice drinks are idea, and then there's a cookie decorating party for small children, and dinner.  Hence the very kid-friendly ham and roast beef (I tried turkey previously - too much work and apparently more people like beef).  I want to find a way to integrate them better - actually I prefer an intimate dinner for 6 or 8, with kids either fed first and tearing around my basement, or, better yet, with no kids (but I think I have another 18 years on that one...)

Actually I'm now baking a second set of desserts.  This is the first no-nut allergy group in a long time, so I went nuts pre-baking and put nuts in a lot of things.  My dear 17 year old nephew - who I adore - just invited himself for the weekend since he had a class trip cancelled.  Actually, I suspect he invited himself for a week - which would be annoying if I wasn't a SAHM and he wasn't a very chill kid.  He's very, very nut allergic (and why I almost never bake with nuts, because I hate making a dish or especially dessert he can't have).  So..... now there's about to be another set of cookies and I'm adding some cakes!   

Oh, and re table space - I'm renting (hopefully if they have some available!) some folding tables and chairs.  They're ugly as all get-out, but I can set them up in the basement and they can be moved away from the play area easily - so the kids especially and anyone who wants to can have a space to eat.

Of course, I could just buy a bigger house!  But then again the tiny house has some major advantages.

Sounds like a fab party!  Word of advice on the chair/table rentals:  Reserve them NOW!  We have a rental place just up the road from us and during busy seasons like grad and the holidays, the tables and chairs are already reserved in large quantities.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 11:43:40 AM »
That looks great.

The only things I would be a tiny bit wondering about is the green beans and the penne. Both of those are dishes that I associate with being served piping hot as opposed to buffet style (which favour the dishes that good or better just warmed up (like the ham and roast beef and squash). But that may just be my recipes.

Something in a crockpot may be good as a hot dish that does not require refilling. A crockpot of the grape jelly and chili sauce meatballs with tiny slider buns are pretty tasty.

I agree about the green beans.   If they sit too long, they get kind of ooky looking.  Penne could be kept warm in a crockpot.  I have  one of those triple buffet crockpot sets and LOVE it!

LibraryLady

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 11:41:01 AM »
Soapapilla  cheesecake is good and doesn't have nuts.  super easy

Spray bottom of  9X13 pan with cooking spray.  spread can of crescent roll dough in pan.

Cream 2 - 8 oz bars of cream cheese (softened of course) add 1 c sugar, 1 teas. vanilla until creamy
Spread on top of dough.
Top with 2nd can of crescent roll dough - doesn't matter if it doesn't roll all the way to the edge.

Mix 2/3 c sugar with 1 tab cinnamon until equally mixed; sprinkle over dough.  Melt stick of butter and pour
over top, evenly.

Bake in 350 oven for about 30-35 minutes.  Cool and cut into squares.  Must be refrigerated after serveing
but boy is it GOOOOOD    ;D

For festiveness - I guess you could sprinkle red and green sugar over the top.