General Etiquette > Life...in general

Handicapped Stall:One Handicap trumps another?

<< < (2/19) > >>

KenveeB:
Handicapped folks get first priority for those stalls over non-handicapped. But if two people both want to use it and are both handicapped, then it's first come, first served just like any other line. The little wheelchair symbol on the door doesn't mean wheelchair-handicaps only!

Bluenomi:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on December 11, 2012, 11:48:49 PM ---Handicapped folks get first priority for those stalls over non-handicapped. But if two people both want to use it and are both handicapped, then it's first come, first served just like any other line. The little wheelchair symbol on the door doesn't mean wheelchair-handicaps only!

--- End quote ---

POD. Friend was first so she gets to use it first.

Rohanna:

--- Quote from: KenveeB on December 11, 2012, 11:48:49 PM ---Handicapped folks get first priority for those stalls over non-handicapped. But if two people both want to use it and are both handicapped, then it's first come, first served just like any other line. The little wheelchair symbol on the door doesn't mean wheelchair-handicaps only!

--- End quote ---

And you shouldn't confront someone who you think isn't handicapped, as some handicaps aren't immediately visible (and, in some cases, you may get an explanation you don't want to hear).

Slartibartfast:
IMHO people who need the handicapped stall wait in line with everyone else.  Once they get toward the front of the line the people ahead of them may choose to let them go as soon as the stall is next free, but otherwise they get to the front of the line and then let others ahead of them (for the regular stalls) until a stall opens up they can use.  Yes, it's *nice* for people to let them cut ahead, but it's not rude not to unless the handicap also means they can't wait.

I end up using the handicap stalls all the time now - they're often the location for the infant changing tables, and also the only stall I can fit both me and Babybartfast when she needs to go.  I would assume someone with a visible handicap is capable of waiting the same way anyone else would unless they told me otherwise.

Softly Spoken:

--- Quote from: Rohanna on December 11, 2012, 11:46:58 PM ---So in that girl's world, if two wheelchair users roll up to the same stall, do they have to compare handicaps to determine who goes first, or do they duel Highlander style since apparently there can "only be one" disabled person per bathroom?

--- End quote ---

I have to admit I snickered at the snark, but you are pointing out how unrealistic and SS wheelchair girl was being.

My interpretation of the HC stall is that it was created for anyone who cannot use a regular size stall for whatever reason. The reason shouldn't matter. The point is if there are restrooms available, every needs to be able to have access to them. I think people in wheelchairs are the most visible majority/example of that, and so the "handicapped" symbol reflects the obvious - wheelchairs can fit in the special stall (ETA: or at least they're supposed to but I've now read some posts saying they don't always and that is just so wrong! >:().

Now I am wondering if wheelchair girl has a disabled parking permit and has ever told another permit owner to move their car because her disability "trumps" theirs...

Ridiculous.

Also Slarti you raise an interesting point - I always assumed people in wheelchairs needed to (or should) go first because it would take them a little extra time to get from their chair to the seat - but that is assuming their physical urgency is equal to or greater than everyone else in line. I suppose that is the difference between special treatment and equal treatment - you may get a special stall but if you aren't next in line you get to clench your thighs together and wait for your turn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version