Author Topic: Great overseas wedding presents?  (Read 734 times)

Me

Great overseas wedding presents?
« on: December 12, 2012, 05:03:45 AM »

Does anyone have some examples of great wedding gifts that were sent to them from friends/relatives overseas?

I am pulling my hair out trying to think of something to send a friend who married a frenchman.  My only thought was wine but as the husband loves wine (He's a sommelier)  I crossed that off the list as I know next to nothing about wine!

Any suggestions are welcome!  Thanks  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Great overseas wedding presents?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:30:16 AM »
Something your area is known for - for me, I'd send maple syrup.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32:23 AM »
Is there some local delicacies or arts stuff that they might enjoy?  I received a beautiful, hand-carved wooden bowl from a friend in Asia when we got married. 

Since your friend and her DH like wine, what about local wine?  You can go visit a local winery or two and ask for their advice.  Most people I know who like wine love to try different wine regions and tasting local wines, since you usually can't get them globally.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:09:48 PM »
I vote for local gifts- wine, cheese, maple syrup, local jams and jellies.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

NestHolder

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 04:07:03 PM »
If the gift is to be posted, how about some lovely table linens, ideally of a kind that's traditional in your area?  A gorgeous damask tablecloth, or a set of cloths and napkins, will not only be useful, they won't be damaged in transit.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 04:25:29 PM »
If the gift is to be posted, how about some lovely table linens, ideally of a kind that's traditional in your area?  A gorgeous damask tablecloth, or a set of cloths and napkins, will not only be useful, they won't be damaged in transit.

Good idea- but watch the postage because good damask can be very heavy. Watch out for customs duties as well because they can really sting the recipient.

Another option could be to order from a website based in their country, if you don't want to send an item from your own.
NE England

Me

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

I will let you know what we end up sending (it will be a group present from a few friends).  Thanks again! :)