General Etiquette > Life...in general

Backrest, not footrest

(1/10) > >>

Last_Dance:
My BF and I went to the cinema last Sunday to see New Animated Movie. There were a lot of people in the teather, mostly children.

During a 5-minutes break about halfway through the movie, when the lights were all turned on, I happened to glance down toward the first rows of seats: a little girl in the second row had taken off her shoes and was sitting were feet up over the first-row backrest.
I couldn't believe my eyes.
Worse still, there was a younger boy on her left sitting exactly in the same way, shoes off and feet up over the backrest.

They might have been sitting like that for the whole first half of the movie for all I know. The seats right in front of them were mercifully empty, but there were people sitting in the front row.
I believe the two adults I saw sitting on the girl's right and talking to them were their parents/caretakers for the day. It didn't look like they were telling them to put their shoes on and sit like polite vertebrates.

Frankly, I thought it was disgusting. If it should happen again and I was closer, what should I say?

I know I should address the adults, but beyond that, I have no idea. Ok, that's not true, I have a couple but they came from Evil!Lilya, there's no way they are E-Hell approved.

bah12:
If it doesn't affect you, you shouldn't say anything.  They may be "disgusting" but it's not your place to parent the children or point out rudeness to the adults. 

If they were sitting in such a way as they were disturbing you (like you were sitting in front of them or their feet were blocking your view), then you could politely ask them to remove their feet so that you could lean back/see, or whatever.  If they didn't cooperate, then alert cinema staff and have them take care of it.

WillyNilly:
For the last 30 years I've seen people putting their feet up on the backs of the seats in front of them at the movie theater.  I have never seen a theater employee or a PSA on screen asking people not too.  I actually think it was quite considerate they took their shoes off and limited themselves to seats without people in them.

onyonryngs:
You say nothing.

TurtleDove:
POD to PPs. I am not certain why you feel the need to say anything, and I wouldn't.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version