Author Topic: Backrest, not footrest  (Read 6985 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Backrest, not footrest
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012, 04:46:18 PM »
I have been to theaters where they say not to put your feet up. I also think there are certain things that seem so obvious that they don't mention. Imean they don't tell you not to lick the handrails either - seems kinda self evident, doesn't it? I mean I guess there might be some people somewhere who feel they have valid reasons to lick the handrail and argue that since the theater in question didn't explicitly mention it, it must be OK. They might even say "Hey, studies show there is a lot worse on the handrail so nobody should mind thefew germs added when I lick it". I gotta say, it still seems rude and obviously so.  IF the only way you can attend the theater is by licking the railing then maybe you shuold wait until the movie comes out on video because exposing people to additional germs seems pretty rude to me.

Isilleke

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
I work as an usher in the local cinema and it is actually forbidden to sit with your feet up. It does affect the seats in front of you and when one seat goes broken they cannot fix it unless they buy a whole new row. Which means that in most of our rooms we have at least 5 broken chairs.

Also, it is true that the cinema isn't that clean to begin with. It does get cleaned every morning by professionals but between movies we (the ushers) are expected to be able to clean the filth from about 400 to 600 people in 40 minutes. This isn't enough time of course which does mean unfortunately it doesn't get cleaned as well as it should. Especially when people leave all their trash behind and/or spill soda.

But anyway, that's not the point, it's just to say that we definitely have to tell customers to keep their feet on the ground and we also have the right to call security after asking three times (we do have to warn them) to get them removed. I do know of at least one time we had this done.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:14:35 PM by Isilleke »

SiotehCat

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:58 PM »
I was kind of torn on this.

I was thinking that if it was not bothering you or affecting you in any way then you should mind your own business.

But I also think that if you are witnessing someone do something that has the potential to damage theater property, then you should say something to an usher. Maybe ask if they have rules against it. If they do, could they please take a peek inside the theater and ask those people to take their feet down.

After reading Isilleke's comment, I will say people that put their feet up are affecting me. I go to the movies frequently. Dirty and broken chairs do affect me.

dawbs

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 12:22:45 PM »
I for one ALWAYS put my feet up, in the cinema, in a meeting, at church, on a train or bus, wherever I am.

This is because i am short - five feet tall - and if i sit in a normal chair, my feet do not touch the ground. If you sit like this for any length of time, it becomes very uncomfortable, and can result in a bad back. I have suffered a lot of sciatica in the past, and sitting in a chair when your feet cannot touch the ground for any length of time excerberates that.

Where I work now, I turn a plastic bin upside down and put it under my desk, and rest my legs on that. Not always possible to carry a plastic bin around with you, though!

It may not be particularly ladylike, but maybe cinemas, buses and trains should consider lower chairs! i don't want to upset anyone or seem rude, but i don't want a trapped nerve in my back either!

That's why I need a footrest too (5'2")!  My legs go to sleep and back aches after about 1/2 hour.  We always try to get the seats behind the iron railing mid-theater in stadium seating (this requires getting there extra early) but if not, I'll sit to the side and put my feet up.  (They really should make a portable/foldable/purse friendly footrest for us shorties).  I can't say I've ever been bugged by other people theater habits aside from noise or kicking the back of my seat.

As far as dirt on the seat, again, these are public seats in which 1000s of men/women/children have occupied.  All manner of things have been tucked, smeared and spilled into them.   I'm really more worried about other peoples greasy/cootie hair on the headrest.  The hoodie/hat idea is really great.  I'm going more prepared from now on.
FWIW, some of the local theaters do have 'boosters' for kids--thse:  http://www.jackroeusa.com/Cinema-booster-seats.html
which they've given my MIL to use as a footrest.