Author Topic: SO Santa traditions: What is your most memorable Santa story?  (Read 3148 times)

oogyda

Re: SO Santa traditions: What is your most memorable Santa story?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 07:34:38 AM »
When my youngest DD was about 4, I took her with me when a friend and I went to a local pancake house for breakfast....we did that about once a week.  This was mid December.

The set up was that there was a row of booths down each wall and a row of tables down the middle.  As we left that morning, YDD stopped in her tracks and her eyes got big.  As I coaxed her forward, I saw there was a man at one of the tables who looked every bit like Santa in regular clothes. 

When she got near him, he reached out his hand and she took hold of it like she was trying to shake hands.  He asked if she'd been a good girl that year and she nodded.  He told her to "Keep it up, Christmas is almost here." 

It was a very brief exchange, but so sweet. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »
This one is a little bittersweet.

When I was 5, my father was diagnosed with incurable cancer. That Christmas, one of my dad's coworkers surprised the whole family, even my parents, on Christmas Eve when he knocked on the front door in a Santa suit with a sack filled with presents. The next Christmas when my father was in the hospital, he came and found us with the family friends we were staying with. He came every year of my childhood, even after my father passed away, bearing presents for my siblings and I from all of my dad's coworkers. He didn't stop until we were all teenagers, 6 years after my father's death. He and my dad weren't even close friends, he just had kids the same age as my sibs and I and wanted to do something.

I hope there is a special place in heaven for someone with such a big heart. He really understood the true meaning of Christmas.

Exactly. How can a person not believe in Santa when such generosity exists?

Your story has made my day. 

SoCalVal

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
Not my story but DFs, which always cracks me up.

DF was about four years old and had woken up in the middle of night wanting some water.  He gets up and goes into the living room and who does he see sitting on the living room floor surrounded by presents and wrapping paper but his mother.

Mother:  No. No-o-o-o! (trying her best to cover the presents with her arms)
DF:  (raises arm and points at her)  "You!  You!!!"

And that was the end of Santa for DF.  I believe he then quickly had to share the news with his three year old brother.

Ah, that story cracks me up every time.  I asked DF why his mom didn't just say that Santa was behind so she was helping out Santa by wrapping presents, but he said she couldn't think on her feet that quickly.

Kitten Crush

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 08:33:05 PM »
My dad was a policeman. My sister, my brother and I got suspicious of "Santa" one year and asked him in a letter to leave a fingerprint along with the presents. Santa left a fingerprint which was promptly taken by my dad to the station where it was identified as Kris Kringle himself.

We were very popular at school with that proof.
Teal'c: I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-O.
Col. O'Neill: Call Daniel.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
My dad was a policeman. My sister, my brother and I got suspicious of "Santa" one year and asked him in a letter to leave a fingerprint along with the presents. Santa left a fingerprint which was promptly taken by my dad to the station where it was identified as Kris Kringle himself.

We were very popular at school with that proof.

I LOVE that!

Jones

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »
I already told my stories on the other thread, but here's my grandad's story, which I grew up on, and he told DD himself last Christmas...I hope I don't forget anything...:

When Grandad was a little boy he wanted a train. He loved trains very much, loved watching them go by on the tracks, loved hearing the CLANG CLANG and picking up flattened bottlecaps. One day some time prior to Christmas he saw a train in the window of the general store. He was enamored by it and watched it go 'round and 'round. He determined he wanted that train for Christmas and told his mother so. "Oh, you can't have that, it is much to expensive!" This was during the Depression, and times were quite tight.
Young Grandad replied that, of course he would ask Santa, he knew they didn't have enough money. (he was one of the youngest of several. I'm foggy on how many were born at the time but eventually there were 9 of them.)

His mother explained that slavery had been abolished, Santa had to pay his elves, and during these hard times he would only bring what the families could afford to pay the elves for. After some thought Grandad determined that the elves were expert toymakers, they could work quickly and the train would be cheap as they had to only pay for manpower. So he wished and he wrote and he hoped. He did his chores and obeyed his parents without hesitation. His sibs discouraged him, his father banned the word "train" for a while, Mom threw her hands up in frustration. But, with the faith that only a child has, Grandad knew he was good enough Santa would find a way to get him his train.

Christmas morning came, after a long and impatient night filled with train-related dreams, and Grandad raced downstairs to see...his train, set up under the meager tree, puffing about the track. What a morning! As his sibs trudged downstairs and checked their own presents, boring and ignorable things like knit caps and stockings, Grandad puffed his train around and around. It was his only gift that year, but it was worth it.

Years later he would realize his sibs and parents had put all their money together and given up their own "fun" gifts for the dreams of the little boy they loved. He now has several trains, but every Christmas that little 1930's engine is put in a place of honor, a side table by the tree, to remind visiting posterity of the value of love and sacrifice.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 12:00:34 AM »
Two stories:

1) I can't remember this myself but I found it hilarious - there is a pic of my at about 1-2 yrs old on Santa's lap...I am smiling (lucky break for all involved considering I was a baby) and if you look closely you can see I have a whole-shelled peanut in my hand. I asked my Mom about it and she shook her head and said "I don't know where you found it but you wouldn't let go of it!" Apparently I didn't want/try to eat it, just hold it. ::)

2) At age 9 I wanted a pet cat. I wrote a letter to Santa asking for the following: A black cat. (Ok) With white mittens and boots (Hmm probably doable) and a white chin (uh...) and a white cross on it's chest (what the-? :o). Oy...
So *ahem* "Santa" gets himself down to the local animal shelter to get a cat. There is one left. She is being considered by another customer.
She is black. :)
 With white mittens and boots...  :D
and a white chin... ;D
and has a white cross on her chest.  8)
Santa (aka my Dad) snags her up and she hides out at my brothers until Xmas eve. I come down early Xmas morning and go to the fireplace where I left milk and cookies and find a note from Santa that says "Check kitchen." :) :D ;D 8)

We had Molly for 16 years, and she was absolutely meant to be ours. I am convinced that after she crossed the rainbow bridge she kicked God off of his chair, curled up and, after sending an angel to fetch her a bowl of half-&-half but before taking her nap, arranged for our current dog to find his way to us.  ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
My Santa story is 'Bringing out the bags'.

Almost everyone among our family and friends who would receive gifts lived within a 5 mile radius of each other.  In the weeks before the holiday, gifts were wrapped and placed under our tree.

On Christmas Eve morning, my Mother and I would pack the gifts for each household into decorated shopping bags and label them with the proper address. 

On Christmas Eve afternoon, Dad and I would load the bags into the car and deliver them.

Almost everyone did the same thing.  We'd drop off a bag at Aunt Joan's and receive our bag from that house.  While the adults chatted a bit in the kitchen, I'd be allowed to hang out with the kids and put an ornament or two on the tree they were still decorating.  Nice things to munch on were always present. 

While we were out, Mother was at home offering the same hospitality to family members who visited
us on the same errand.  Our tree was always decorated long before Christmas Eve but there were foil-wrapped chocolate ornaments that the kids who visited us could take home. 

The ritual was over at about sundown.  After a Christmas Eve Supper, we'd unpack the bags we received.  It was fun to see the different wrappings going under our tree.  Unpacking the bags was almost as much fun as Christmas morning. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
Christmas morning came, after a long and impatient night filled with train-related dreams, and Grandad raced downstairs to see...his train, set up under the meager tree, puffing about the track. What a morning! As his sibs trudged downstairs and checked their own presents, boring and ignorable things like knit caps and stockings, Grandad puffed his train around and around. It was his only gift that year, but it was worth it.

Years later he would realize his sibs and parents had put all their money together and given up their own "fun" gifts for the dreams of the little boy they loved. He now has several trains, but every Christmas that little 1930's engine is put in a place of honor, a side table by the tree, to remind visiting posterity of the value of love and sacrifice.

I think I have something in my eye...

We had a female neighbour who played Santa for a few years with some of the neighbours.  She'd come in on Christmas eve with a HO HO HO and would have a Terry's Chocolate Orange for each kid in the house.  After the first year, Santa realized she'd need a designated driver because she was offered a drink at every house she stopped at so there was no way she could accept the hospitality and drive.  And with it being a rural neighbourhood, it was too far to walk.  And with that many drinks, it might not have been safe to walk.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Jocelyn

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
My father looks like MMSWM's, except he would start growing his beard out in August, so it would be at the maximum length he could tolerate, by Christmas.  ;D
He achieved local fame when a photographer decided he wanted a picture of Santa before Christmas to serve as a window display. The final photograph is huge, and shows my father sitting by a fireplace, reviewing The List, as my mother leans over his shoulder to read. She is serving him a plate of sugar cookies and a glass of milk. (which is probably a balanced meal at the North Pole).
For years after that, they would do Santa calls. A donation to the American Cancer Society would get you a pre-Christmas visit at your home. They did Santa as a fundraiser for the local hospital. My father is a baby whisperer, and many were the grateful parents who finally got a picture of their beaming tots with Santa. Mom would sit with fearful children and talk with them, and finally coax them into going over to Santa. Dad didn't do the HO HO HO bit, he would talk quietly to the kids, and give them as long as it took before they were ready to come over to him. A lot of the pics were with kids sitting on Mrs. Santa's lap, next to Santa. :) They learned that Mrs. Santa looked normal enough that she wasn't scary, but the big boots and red velvet suit, plus the beard, made Santa look very different from other men...and a lot of preschoolers weren't going to have any of THAT.
One Black Friday, we went out to shop, and stopped at a fast food restaurant for lunch. Dad was in his civvies, of course, but the town had announced that Santa would be making an appearance at the parade that afternoon. We were eating, and behind Dad was a pair of women  with 2-3 kids each, trying to get their kids fed before the parade. Dad has always been meticulous about record-keeping, and midway though the meal, he thought of something he wanted to write down,  and pulled a small notebook from his shirt pocket and started making notes. Behind him, a little boy about 7 suddenly sat up straight, eyes wide, and nudged his sister and pointed at Dad. Suddenly the table quieted down, as the message was spread: He DOES see you, and he DOES make notes!

The best Santa call they made, though, was to friends who lived two doors down from us. Our family, due to travel and jobs that don't allow much time off, has celebrated on the weekend rather than Dec. 25th, for most of my life. So on Christmas Day, my parents would dress up, load up the bag, and walk down to the neighbors' home, to have breakfast with their grandchildren, and hand out all the gifts personally. Can you imagine how impressed you'd be with your grandparents, to find out not only did they know Santa and Mrs. Santa personally, that the Santas would stop at your grandparents' home for breakfast before heading back to the North Pole?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »
Jocelyn, that is such a charming story.  I hope you have the opportunity to write some of your favorites down so you can pass on to future generations of your family.

Jocelyn

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 12:15:51 AM »
My sister is the family historian. I'll have to ask her about how she's covered the Santa years.
Somewhere, I have pics of my parents in costume, handing out the final exam in my research class...

mmswm

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »
This is my dad:

One year, when I was 15 and my youngest sister was 2, my father had to be out of town for most of December.  He was planning on getting back into town in the wee hours of Christmas day.  My sister was getting upset because Daddy wasn't home and was worried that he wouldn't make it back in time.  My other sisters and I (19 and 12) convinced the little one that Daddy was really Santa Claus and the reason why he wasn't there was because he was busy at the North Pole getting everything ready for the rest of the kids, but he would be home when she woke up on Christmas morning.

Yeah, we were kind of mean, but with a dad that looks like that, can you blame us????   >:D

My father played Santa today for a group that serves low income kids.  He got the list of kids beforehand and created a "naughty or nice" list on his iPhone with all their names, and before he gave them their gifts, he checked the list.  Of course they were all on the nice list.

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)