General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Polite way to say: You need to be responsible for yourself

<< < (2/3) > >>

BeagleMommy:
First, stop hiding the candy/sweets.  Mollie is an adult diabetic.  She knows she's not supposed to have sugar.  It is her responsibility to take care of herself.  If she wants to eat the candy until she's sick she's the one that will feel lousy afterward.  Sorry, this is a big pet peeve of mine since I never ask people to refrain from sweets because of my diabetes.

As far as the other stuff goes, she's retiring in 2 1/2 weeks.  I think the best you can do is roll your eyes and count down the days.

bopper:

--- Quote from: BeagleMommy on December 12, 2012, 03:53:42 PM ---First, stop hiding the candy/sweets.  Mollie is an adult diabetic.  She knows she's not supposed to have sugar.  It is her responsibility to take care of herself.  If she wants to eat the candy until she's sick she's the one that will feel lousy afterward.  Sorry, this is a big pet peeve of mine since I never ask people to refrain from sweets because of my diabetes.

--- End quote ---

They may hide the candy because she just eats too much and they don't get any.

blue2000:

--- Quote from: bopper on December 12, 2012, 03:58:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: BeagleMommy on December 12, 2012, 03:53:42 PM ---First, stop hiding the candy/sweets.  Mollie is an adult diabetic.  She knows she's not supposed to have sugar.  It is her responsibility to take care of herself.  If she wants to eat the candy until she's sick she's the one that will feel lousy afterward.  Sorry, this is a big pet peeve of mine since I never ask people to refrain from sweets because of my diabetes.

--- End quote ---

They may hide the candy because she just eats too much and they don't get any.

--- End quote ---

Or they have to deal with her going home sick/being off work/etc. If she is going to bail in the middle of a rush of people because she stuffed herself with candy again, I'd hide it too.

MrsCrazyPete:
I wouldn't say anything. She is an adult and can take care of herself, theoretically.

snugasabug:
I have a different take on the situation as you present it....

You say you have "inherited" her just 3 years ago and she is due to retire shortly? It is possible that she is showing early signs of Alzheimer's / dementia?  Maybe that explains her speed and her forgetful mind.

Her not being a "likeable" person should not have any bearing on your professional rapport with her.  She may be more work, and less "fun" than the others, but she is a part of your team.  I am personally surprised by your reaction to her car issues.  An ounce of humanity, not to mention your role as her manager, might have offered to stay with her until the tow truck came.  Maybe she was frazzled and just in need of someone to show some compassion? 

I'm sure she can sense that she is a nuisance to you and her team.  She doesn't need you to hide the sweets, she needs you to be patient with her and show her some compassion. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version