Author Topic: Is there a rude "thank you"?  (Read 2242 times)

Kaypeep

Is there a rude "thank you"?
« on: December 12, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
Let's say you do a favor for someone.  You get them free tickets to a concert that normally would have cost them several hundred dollars.  They call to thank you after the show but then list a litany of complaints about the experience.  For example, saying the seats weren't where I expected them to be,  I couldn't see the stage and had to watch it on the monitor,   It felt like I was just watching tv at home instead of being at a concert, etc.

Is that rude of them to say all of this?

As the giver of the tickets, these factors were out of my control.  Should the recipient just say Thanks and keep their complaints to themself?  Or is it rude for them to give a thank you with caveats?

What should I say/do in return, if anything?
Is it rude if I then let them know that I don't appreciate the complaints and think they were ungrateful to share this stuff with me?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Is there a rude "thank you"?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 06:13:50 PM »
I think if it were me I'd listen, I'd say "you're welcome" dryly, get off the phone and never give them anything of worth again.

weeblewobble

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 06:14:53 PM »
Yes. This is a very rude and that would be the main last time I provided that boor with tickets.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
If asked, I can see people talking about their experience and how it wasn't what they expected, but there are ways to say it that doesn't make the giver feel bad. 

I would not say anything.  I would just never get them tickets again.  If they ask why, then let them have it (in a polite way).

bah12

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 06:25:52 PM »
I do think it's rude.  I can see them giving honest feedback if you had asked them to recount their experience and if they wanted to let you know that paying full price for these tickets may not be worth it in the future.

But, you did them a favor and they should thank you for that favor.  Telling you how awful it turned out in that same sentence pretty much takes away the pleasure of a heartfelt "thanks."

nuit93

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:27 PM »
Strikes me as rude, but I've known some people who will just complain about everything.

I wouldn't do any more favors for them.

Kaypeep

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 06:34:27 PM »
They left a voicemail, they were not asked.  It said "Thanks" and then "But..." and then a whiny recitation of the complaints.

There is more to the story, but I wanted to see if I was out of line to even intially react badly to this "thank  you."

The tix were through my job and were picked up by my uncle at the will-call table.  He was erroneously given the wrong tickets.  He should have been in the 7th row, instead he ended up in an upper tier in the back.  But he knew his seat assignment because he was sent an email with all the details.  Instead of questioning the staffer who gave the wrong tix by accident, he and his wife sat in the "bad" seats.

After the "thank you" I checked with my coworker who worked will call.  She explained what happened and figured out how she screwed up and gave him the tix in error.  It was fixable but my uncle and his wife played the martyrs and never spoke up.  I emailed uncle to tell him it was an error and my colleague was very sorry for the mixup!  Uncle then replied back and insinuated that she probably took his tix and gave them to a friend or family member of her own.   :o

This second comment by him has put me over the edge. 

Isisnin

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »
They were rude.  Perhaps because you work there, they thought they could/should be critical??  but that doesn't matter they were still rude.

If they bring it up again, you could say something like "I'm sorry there was a problem with the tickets.  Rest assured I will not get you tickets from there again."  ;)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
A certain proverbial gift horse comes to mind with this one.

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 07:05:41 PM »
I wouldn't even consider this message a "thank you". "Thank you" is given with the feeling of genuine gratitude and an inclination to know that the gift or service was appreciated. If you'd asked, "Were there any problems?" I wouldn't have a problem with them saying so if it were stated politely.

I would think for a long time before giving them anything nice again, but I wouldn't tell them, "You sounded ungrateful." I actually wouldn't say anything at all about it.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:39 PM »
That was really rude and I'd be seriously angry if that was how I was "thanked."  It was really nice of you to give him those tickets, and even if the seats they sat in had not been due to an error, the only thing they should have said was a gracious "thanks."  And then he adds insult to injury by insinuating your co-worker kept the "better" tickets for her own use?  Wow, that takes some nerve!  I am with those who say never give him anything nice again.  Wow.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

CaptainObvious

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:13:02 PM »
I would tell them that next time they can buy their tickets and ensure they get the seats they want.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
Wow he's being rude and nasty. I'd strike him off the list of potential recipients of future freebies!

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
Wow.  :o

Yes that was rude!

That was an example of "looking a gift horse in the mouth." >:(

I don't think it's the kind of rudeness that merits a response. However, if your Uncle were to ask "Hey have you got any more free tickets?", you could say "No," OR
 >:D you might reply "Oh you were so unhappy with your last concert experience, I was sure you wouldn't want to go again so I gave  the tickets to someone else. You dodged the bullet!"
but that last one is a little PA and therefor not officially ehell approved I believe... ::) ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Amara

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
That's the last time they'd get anything from me.  >:( Rude is the nicest thing you could say about their "thank you."