Author Topic: Morals VS Etiquette?  (Read 2462 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Morals VS Etiquette?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
#2.  You went into a store and purchased item A, but you were delivered item B that was way bigger and better.

The store manager called you and informed you of the mistake.  You were aware of the mistake but liked the mistake.  But, being a reasonable person, you said you would come in and pay the difference.  But didn't.

So, then the manager called again and said, "If you don't pay the difference, the salesman will have to pay or be fired"   The difference was 4 hundred US.  Also, if u do not pay the price difference, your HUGE electronic item is not covered under warranty, afterall,you didn't pay.

I would never keep an accidental upgrade (unless the sales person told me to keep it at no charge). I think to agree to either return it or pay the difference, and then do neither, is stealing. I don't know (or honestly care) what the legalities are. If I did that I'd feel I had stolen it.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
I would never keep an accidental upgrade (unless the sales person told me to keep it at no charge). I think to agree to either return it or pay the difference, and then do neither, is stealing. I don't know (or honestly care) what the legalities are. If I did that I'd feel I had stolen it.

This.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »
#2.  You went into a store and purchased item A, but you were delivered item B that was way bigger and better.

The store manager called you and informed you of the mistake.  You were aware of the mistake but liked the mistake.  But, being a reasonable person, you said you would come in and pay the difference.  But didn't.

So, then the manager called again and said, "If you don't pay the difference, the salesman will have to pay or be fired"   The difference was 4 hundred US.  Also, if u do not pay the price difference, your HUGE electronic item is not covered under warranty, afterall,you didn't pay.

What happened here is morally wrong. You (I'm guessing it's a generic you) did not get what you ordered (as opposed to #1) you should have made arrangements (free shipping/delivery) for the exchange. No questions asked.

Where etiquette comes into play is how politely you handle the situation.

(4 replies --- hot topic! ;D)

MOM21SON

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »
Ok,  I just got a email from #1.  I am to set it outside for UPS to pick it up.Fine, solved, I think.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 07:35:06 PM »
Ok,  I just got a email from #1.  I am to set it outside for UPS to pick it up.Fine, solved, I think.

Reply back to the e-mail and ask how you get proof of pick-up from UPS. Will they leave a note at your door with tracking number?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 07:37:31 PM »

This is a moral (and maybe legal) issue, and nothing to do with etiquette.

MOM21SON

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 07:41:32 PM »

Right.  So where is the line drawn? 

CaptainObvious

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »

You asked for moral and etiquette, legal doesn't apply. Legal is legal, the laws draw the line.

MOM21SON

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 07:48:54 PM »

You asked for moral and etiquette, legal doesn't apply. Legal is legal, the laws draw the line.

And, did you have anything to contribute?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 08:00:01 PM »

Personally? I think that what was contributed on #2 is 'nough said.

Legal matters don't belong on this board.

onyonryngs

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 08:00:19 PM »

To me, that response right there would cross the etiquette line, and the moral line as it has to deal with how you talk to people and how you treat others.  It's going to depend on the situation.  The situation you gave (#2) is not an etiquette situation, but moral - there're lies told to the manager and intent to keep something that wasn't paid for.  If there is still uncertainty about the difference, there is a great explanation on the difference between etiquette and morals in the link I provided earlier.  It really is an interesting read if you're confused between the two.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:08:04 PM by onyonryngs »

CaptainObvious

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »

I stand by my post, I'm sorry that you don't agree.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »

CO did contribute with her post.  You asked for the difference, and she gave it.  The legality factors into your question.

We can't go into the legal aspects here.  However, the fact that there are laws dictating the response is important to note.

I don't see CO as being confrontational with her post; it was factual.  There is a good point in what she said.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:10:08 PM by DottyG »

MOM21SON

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 08:14:41 PM »
I don't agree with legal, it is over. 

It has been paid and done.  Nothing will change that.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 08:15:57 PM »
I'm a little confused by your post.   :-\    Can you clarify it a little?