Author Topic: Morals VS Etiquette?  (Read 2397 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Morals VS Etiquette?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 08:20:30 PM »
I think the point is that there it's not a simple matter of moral vs etiquette, because we do have laws that come into play.  There is a grey area there that blurs the two in your question.  It's not as black and white as I think you're trying to get at.

And now also consider that "laws" take into account our governmental ones and even certain moral laws (such as the 10 Commandments) - you're blurring things even more.

And, again, not going into what those laws are - because that's beyond the rules of this forum.  However, the fact that they are there must be noted.  Whatever laws there are factor into your question.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:22:07 PM by DottyG »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:48 PM »
Before this thread gets locked . . .

Years ago I bought the DDs a bunk-bed set with mattresses. It was to be COD. Once the set was delivered, while the delivery people were moving everything into the DDs bedroom, I went to write a check for the purchase.

By the time I came back to give them the check, they were gone.

Me (confused): I didn't pay them.

LDH: They said it was paid for and they didn't need a check. Here's the paperwork. (The paperwork was clearly stamped "PAID")

Me: We so did not pay for this!

Much to LDH's chagrin, I called the store the next day (it was an after-hours delivery) and got things straightened out.

LDH: We so could have gotten this stuff for free! Why did you do this?

Me: Because I couldn't have our DDs sleeping on stolen goods.

LDH was morally wrong for trying to "get away with it." Which, since the receipt was stamped "PAID" we probably could have.

But it wouldn't sit right with my conscience.

(LOL! 3 replies . . . can't seem to get a word in edgewise.  ;D )

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2012, 08:23:48 PM »
And jpcher, I think maybe the etiquette part of it came into play as far as how you dealt with the people you spoke to.  If you were rude or snippy to the person on the phone, that's violating etiquette.  But the fact that you tried to make it right was the moral part of it.

Does that help, M21Son?

Edited to put a needed comma in.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:25:55 PM by DottyG »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »
I don't agree with legal, it is over. 

It has been paid and done.  Nothing will change that.

I'm assuming your talking about #2. Legal aside, how do you feel, morally?

Was the salesman fired from his job for his mistake?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:25 PM »
And jpcher, I think maybe the etiquette part of it came into play as far as how you dealt with the people you spoke to.  If you were rude or snippy to the person on the phone, that's violating etiquette.  But the fact that you tried to make it right was the moral part of it.

Does that help, M21Son?

Edited to put a needed comma in.

Agreed.

I neglected to add to my previous post that I did, in fact, pay for the bed.

eta: ooops, I did say that I got things straighted out. Nevermind (How do you delete a post?)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 08:32:36 PM by jpcher »

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 09:21:48 PM »
#2.  You went into a store and purchased item A, but you were delivered item B that was way bigger and better.

The store manager called you and informed you of the mistake.  You were aware of the mistake but liked the mistake.  But, being a reasonable person, you said you would come in and pay the difference.  But didn't.

So, then the manager called again and said, "If you don't pay the difference, the salesman will have to pay or be fired"   The difference was 4 hundred US.  Also, if u do not pay the price difference, your HUGE electronic item is not covered under warranty, afterall,you didn't pay.

This is a moral (and maybe legal) issue, and nothing to do with etiquette.
Right.  So where is the line drawn?

You asked for moral and etiquette, legal doesn't apply. Legal is legal, the laws draw the line.

And, did you have anything to contribute?

Excuse me? Posters were trying to answer your question, which frankly there is no simple answer, and you get snotty? Wow.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.