Author Topic: Re: Letting an adult "suffer the consequences" UPDATE Pg. 8  (Read 20024 times)

weeblewobble

Re: Letting an adult "suffer the consequences" UPDATE Pg. 8
« Reply #120 on: December 26, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »
I know!  I told Annette how proud I was of her new spine, and she tried to downplay it, i.e. The visit was almost over anyway.  It wasn't dramatic or brave, she said.  She just grabbed Taylor and her purse and bolted. 

But seriously, it was a huge turnaround.

Annette is worried that there will be long term effects on MIL's ability to see Taylor, but she figures if MIL really wants to see her granddaughter, MIL will either find a way or convince FIL that it's in his best interest not to behave badly.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #121 on: December 26, 2012, 08:23:10 AM »
They did see the in laws for Christmas Eve, but FIL stayed quiet and didn't interact much with Taylor (read: pouted) and grumbled about "not being able to say anything." 

Heaven's to Betsy! Who's the bigger baby, grandpa or Taylor? I'm glad Annette and Todd found their spines. Maybe grandma will find hers to either set her husband straight or figure out a way to see Taylor without him.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: December 26, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »
Annette is worried that there will be long term effects on MIL's ability to see Taylor, but she figures if MIL really wants to see her granddaughter, MIL will either find a way or convince FIL that it's in his best interest not to behave badly.

That's the key. MIL is a grown woman. She can figure out how to help the situation if she has the incentive to.

Bravo to Annette and Todd for their shiny new spines!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #123 on: December 26, 2012, 08:38:47 AM »
Is her MIL not able to come see Taylor without her husband? (Ie not able to drive and needs him to bring her?)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

weeblewobble

« Reply #124 on: December 26, 2012, 08:51:03 AM »
No, she's able-bodied and drives.  It's more that they are a "package deal," and FIL would make life at home pretty miserable/uncomfortable for MIL if she goes to visit Taylor without him.  The weird thing is, FIL really enjoys seeing Taylor, he just doesn't understand that it's not all about FIL and how he feels.  He has to consider how the things he says and does affect her.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2012, 08:53:07 AM »
No, she's able-bodied and drives.  It's more that they are a "package deal," and FIL would make life at home pretty miserable/uncomfortable for MIL if she goes to visit Taylor without him.

He bullies not just little kids but also his wife? This could stop if she found a spine and put her foot down. Maybe she'll learn from Annette and Todd.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #126 on: December 26, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
This is good news.

Don't worry about MIL.  If she wants to see Taylor she will find a way to make her husband behave... or show up without him if that doesn't work.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #127 on: December 26, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
I got tingly when I read the update.  I also suspect that MIL has already read the riot act to FIL. 
Him pouting and not talking sounds like a bonus and not the punishment he meant it to be. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #128 on: December 26, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
They did see the in laws for Christmas Eve, but FIL stayed quiet and didn't interact much with Taylor (read: pouted) and grumbled about "not being able to say anything." 

Heaven's to Betsy! Who's the bigger baby, grandpa or Taylor? I'm glad Annette and Todd found their spines. Maybe grandma will find hers to either set her husband straight or figure out a way to see Taylor without him.

Agreed.  It is very immature behaviour to claim you (general) are not "allowed" to say "anything" when called out on bad behaviour.  Bravo for the parents, they did the right thing and FIL is going to have to sit and rub his mad spot until he gets over it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:27:17 PM by RingTailedLemur »

NyaChan

« Reply #129 on: December 26, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
Great update!  I think Taylor's parents handled things beautifully and I'm glad that Taylor was able to spend time around her grandparents at Christmas-time without getting the emotional backlash that normally comes.  A quiet pouting Grandpa may actually be better than the one who talks and upsets her that way. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »
Well played! Maybe this will inspire MIL to start standing up to him.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2012, 01:16:08 PM »
Really great to hear that Todd and Annette put their collective foot down.  Their response was clear and firm, but not rude.  Good for them!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Otterpop

« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
Really well done.

poundcake

« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
FIL told Todd he was over-reacting. MIL seemed to be in shock because she didn't respond much beyond asking them not to leave.  They did see the in laws for Christmas Eve, but FIL stayed quiet and didn't interact much with Taylor (read: pouted) and grumbled about "not being able to say anything."

FiL is a bigger baby than Taylor.

Hopefull

« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2012, 06:02:33 PM »
BRAVO!!! :D :D :D
“I felt this thrill going up my leg!”