Author Topic: Live Music Venue Etiquette Question - Limited seating  (Read 1061 times)

misha412

Live Music Venue Etiquette Question - Limited seating
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »
Last night, I went to a local live music venue where a nationally known band was giving a concert. There were over 1000 people in this space. The main part of the floor was open for people to stand in. Around the perimeter of the floor, along the walls, were stools. This is where my question comes in.

My fiancee and myself finally snagged a stool to share between us.

To one side was a couple and their pre-teen son. The kid was using two stools to lay across while playing video games. The parents each had a stool to themselves.

To the other side was a young woman about 20-22 years old. She had three stools. She was sitting on two of them and using the third as a place for her drink, gloves, etc.

What is the etiquette in this situation? Is it appropriate for someone to snag more than one seat in a limited seating situation? Can someone request they give up one of their seats?

jmarvellous

Re: Live Music Venue Etiquette Question - Limited seating
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
It is neither appropriate nor inappropriate to put your stuff on unoccupied seats.

It is appropriate to ask a person to move their stuff from said seats. And it is appropriate to respond to such a request by moving your stuff without grumbling.

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »
It is neither appropriate nor inappropriate to put your stuff on unoccupied seats.

It is appropriate to ask a person to move their stuff from said seats. And it is appropriate to respond to such a request by moving your stuff without grumbling.

Succinct and perfect!

lowspark

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
POD.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:42:04 AM »
I say one stool per person.  If you go up to them and politely ask for a stool that they are using for their stuff, most likely they would comply.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
Was there a rail across the perimeter of the room for drinks?  A reasonably priced and accessible coat check? Was the event billed as standing room?

My husband plays in a regionally popular band, so I go to a lot of shows.  These factors all come into play.  I absolutely think drinks get priority for needing a place to be put down - because otherwise they end up on the floor.

For the most part seats are first come first serve.  But etiquette wise, it is rude to use more then you need - so if a stool is for jackets, it should be for everyone in the group's jackets, not 3 people, 3 jacket stools, plus additional stools to sit on, but 1 jacket stool plus 3 stools to sit on.

In the case of the kid, he was just being greedy as 3 people don't need 4 stools. But the young woman might have been holding the stools for her friend's in the rest room or at the bar, etc - if she wasn't she was just being greedy. In the case of greedy you can always ask "hey may I have one of those stools please?" The people might say "no" (unfortunately they are allowed to be greedy, as unsavory as it may be) but often people will give one up if asked directly.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 01:36:32 PM »

This.  Coats and purses can be held in laps (not comfortably on stools, true) and drinks can be held in hands.  Rear ends only had the option of the floor or a stool.