Author Topic: Slow Cooker Cheesecake - Ever tried one?  (Read 1778 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Slow Cooker Cheesecake - Ever tried one?
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
I came across a cheesecake cooked in a slow cooker.  It's assembled in a 6" springform pan, put into the slow cooker, water added and slowly steamed.  The reviews say it is the silkiest and light cheesecake ever.  Has anyone tried one and did it turn out well?  Could you tell a difference between it and one cooked in the oven with a water bath?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Slow Cooker Cheesecake - Ever tried one?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »
I came across a cheesecake cooked in a slow cooker.  It's assembled in a 6" springform pan, put into the slow cooker, water added and slowly steamed.  The reviews say it is the silkiest and light cheesecake ever.  Has anyone tried one and did it turn out well?  Could you tell a difference between it and one cooked in the oven with a water bath?

Never heard of that before . . . how about you be the tester and let us know?  ;D

Would you mind posting the recipe? I'm wondering if this would work just as well in a roaster?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 06:48:46 PM »
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/slow-cooker-sour-cream-cheesecake?xid=DAILY121212ViewRecipe

That's the link to the one I came across.  I just can't decide if it's worth the effort to make a 6" cheesecake.  I guess the good thing is if it's not good, I'm only throwing out a small amount.

doodlemor

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:05:27 PM »
That sounds really, really good.  I agree with you that it sounds like a lot of effort for a small cheesecake, though.  I'd love to know how this turns out.

Now I'm wondering if a slow cooker would work to cook a Christmas pudding?  I have my husband's grandmother's recipe around here somewhere.  I used to make it years ago, but the boiling was very messy, so I quit.  It would be a nice surprise for him if I made this again.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:44:05 PM »
That sounds really, really good.  I agree with you that it sounds like a lot of effort for a small cheesecake, though.  I'd love to know how this turns out.

Now I'm wondering if a slow cooker would work to cook a Christmas pudding?  I have my husband's grandmother's recipe around here somewhere.  I used to make it years ago, but the boiling was very messy, so I quit.  It would be a nice surprise for him if I made this again.
Your question made me curious so I did a google search and it seems there is lots of references for cooking the pudding in a slow cooker.  I'll try out the cheesecake and report back.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 07:14:35 AM »
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/slow-cooker-sour-cream-cheesecake?xid=DAILY121212ViewRecipe

That's the link to the one I came across.  I just can't decide if it's worth the effort to make a 6" cheesecake.  I guess the good thing is if it's not good, I'm only throwing out a small amount.

this sounds like the regular kind of new york cheesecake  - i make mine in the regular oven with a "steam bath" (i put a pan of boiling water in the oven when i bake it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

alkira6

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 01:01:07 PM »

this sounds like the regular kind of new york cheesecake  - i make mine in the regular oven with a "steam bath" (i put a pan of boiling water in the oven when i bake it.

I could not resist this and made it last night. I just cut a slice and there is no real difference to me than the normal oven method. The cheesecake is silky and very nice, but no better. The only real advantage is that  you could have the oven free foer something else. Also, no cracks on top. I always get at least one crack during cooling, but usually cover it up with some sort of topping/decoration.

Yes, I am eating a hunk of cheesecake at noon for breakfast, why do you ask?

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:31 PM »

I could not resist this and made it last night. I just cut a slice and there is no real difference to me than the normal oven method. The cheesecake is silky and very nice, but no better. The only real advantage is that  you could have the oven free foer something else. Also, no cracks on top. I always get at least one crack during cooling, but usually cover it up with some sort of topping/decoration.

hey, I'm all for cheesecake, any time of the day. it's even healthy - got your carbs (crust), (your fruit topping) and your protein.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kckgirl

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
I see nothing at all wrong with cheesecake for breakfast, and I've had it just that way in the past.
Maryland

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »

. Thanks for trying it out.  I got busy yesterday and didn't get around to it.

doodlemor

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »

Your question made me curious so I did a google search and it seems there is lots of references for cooking the pudding in a slow cooker.  I'll try out the cheesecake and report back.

Thanks, that was very kind of you!  Now I'm going to go and find that old recipe card and get the stuff so that I can make a pudding for New Year's.  My husband will be so delighted!