Author Topic: Business Card Litterbug  (Read 2502 times)

CrochetFanatic

Business Card Litterbug
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in "All in a Day's Work", but here goes. 

It always bugged me when someone would lift up my windshield wiper and used it to pin a flyer or a business card there while I was in the store, but there's not much you can do about that.  Well, here's a new spin on that, and I'm not sure if it's rude or not.

There's a new "Designer and Master Carpenter" in our area who staples their business card to a chunk of wood, and tosses them on people's lawns.  My dad has found two of them, the second one today.  I don't know if this is rude or not, but it sure does strike me as being obnoxious.  Is this even legal?  Couldn't this count as littering, or something?

diesel_darlin

Re: Business Card Litterbug
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »
Our local Domino's pizza puts flyers into cups and they send someone around who throws them into peoples driveways/yards.

I think the wood idea is kinda cute, but I can see where more than one of them would start getting obnoxious.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
Rude and dangerous. Have you ever accidentally hit something like that with a lawn mower or leaf mulcher? I have. And when it splinters off, it hurts. And can take an eye out if it goes the wrong direction.

MrTango

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
Rude and dangerous. Have you ever accidentally hit something like that with a lawn mower or leaf mulcher? I have. And when it splinters off, it hurts. And can take an eye out if it goes the wrong direction.

I'd be very tempted to contact the local non-emergency police number and report the person for littering on my lawn...

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:11:43 PM »

I have hit something accidentally. It was a dead bird. I was very upsetLuckily I wasn't hurt.
 I don't like the fliers on my windshield and end up thowing them away. One time I ended up calling the company to arrange for my windshield to be professionally cleaned since the paper they used glued itself to my windshield in the rain. They told me that I was the 10Th person to call for that reason that day, and they were not going to advertise like that in the future. I imagine having to pay for 10 plus cleanings and getting no business out of it would make it a dismil flop.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »
That kind of thing would result in my making a point never to use that company, even if I otherwise would have.

drafter_lady

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 05:11:03 AM »
where I live, they walk right up to your door and wedge it between the door and the jam. Completely ignoring the multiple "no solicitation" signs in the community. It pisses me off to no end and half of them are written in a language that I myself do not speak so I wouldn't even know who I was calling to complain to. As a result, if you walk around the complex, you find all of these business cards all over the ground because people just let them fall when they open their doors and don't bother to pick them up. The manager has called many times to complain and they just keep doing it.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 05:53:16 AM »
The people that stick flyers on my door get a call telling them that
a. They have lost any business from residents of my house.
b. They and their employees are banned from my property.

I guess most of them decided they didn't want to deal with the crazy lady, because I don't get near as many flyers as my neighbor.

In this case and the pizza place case I would call the non-emergency line and complain about the littering. Then I would call the business and tell them
1. Someone is trying to harm their business by littering lawns in the neighborhood in their name
2. That you have called the police to inform them about the littering vandalism.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 09:02:45 AM »
I do think it's obnoxious and as Dotty wrote, potentially dangerous.  I think it's double rude if the householder has a 'No junk mail' sign on their letterbox.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:28 AM »
I do think it's obnoxious and as Dotty wrote, potentially dangerous.  I think it's double rude if the householder has a 'No junk mail' sign on their letterbox.

The sign wouldn't be rude, just entirely futile.

I agree that the chunk of wood is dangerous. It's clever and original but still a bad idea.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jane7166

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 05:05:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in "All in a Day's Work", but here goes. 

It always bugged me when someone would lift up my windshield wiper and used it to pin a flyer or a business card there while I was in the store, but there's not much you can do about that.  Well, here's a new spin on that, and I'm not sure if it's rude or not.

There's a new "Designer and Master Carpenter" in our area who staples their business card to a chunk of wood, and tosses them on people's lawns.  My dad has found two of them, the second one today.  I don't know if this is rude or not, but it sure does strike me as being obnoxious.  Is this even legal?  Couldn't this count as littering, or something?

Our neighborhood used to get pelted with advertisements in baggies that had a small rock in it and people would drive around in a car and throw them out the window onto driveways.  I guess the rock was for weighing the baggie down so it didn't fly away from the driveway.  How considerate. 

I called the city about that.  It's not done anymore so they must have gotten enough complaints about it. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
In our neighborhood a local community group distributes nice, little laminated signs that residents can attach to the railings outside their buildings. 

The signs clearly state that flyers, ads and menus are not welcome. 

It seems to work. 

Shea

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »

The sign wouldn't be rude, just entirely futile.

I agree that the chunk of wood is dangerous. It's clever and original but still a bad idea.

I think Miss Unleaded meant that putting junk mail into a mailbox with a "No junk mail" sign is doubly rude because the advertiser is not only stuffing junk in the box, s/he is ignoring an express request not to do so. I don't think she meant that the sign itself was rude.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.