Author Topic: Refusing to give business cards to solicitors  (Read 3645 times)

Oh Joy

Refusing to give business cards to solicitors
« on: December 13, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »
We are one of around twenty small offices renting space in an office building.  It's a 'no soliciting' building, meaning (without getting into legal stuff) city code prohibits ignoring the 'no soliciting' signs at the entrance and coming inside to try to sell things to the various offices.

Despite this, we get plenty of folks walking in to sell us things.  We politely remind them that it's a 'no soliciting' building and wish them a good day, despite it being a pet peeve of mine that they come in anyway.   ;)

Here's where it gets a bit interesting: They often reach to take one of our business cards, or request one if there aren't any readily available.  I assume it's to document that they were there, either to save coming back or to justify their pay.  I usually gently refuse, as I don't want to give something that cost me money to someone who shouldn't be in my office and has no interest in being our client.

Do you consider this (the refusal) to be impolite?

Thank you.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Refusing to give business cards to solicitors
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
I think you're totally fine. Even a business isn't required to give out their contact info, etc., to someone that they don't want to have it.

And from a "what am I accomplishing" point of view, the last thing you want is to make it easy for them to call you to try to pitch their product over the phone.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 03:08:40 AM »
The refusal is definitely not impolite! Good for you for refusing.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
Not impolite. You are under no obligation to give them a business card.

Margo

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:05:12 AM »
Definitely not rude!

(I had to read the post to understand the question - in the UK, where I live, a solicitor is an attorney. I wondered what you had against us, and why we shouldn't be allowed business cards...)

Annoyed in America

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »
We have the same problem.  I am baffled as to way people ignore the "No soliciting" sign. I tell them I am out of cards.  I have even told people who inquire as to my name that I don't give it out.  Some people think they can be pushy in the guise of conducting their business.  In this climate of cybercrime and scams, honest, straight forward business people do not have a problem with this.  They understand.

Snowy Owl

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »
Definitely not rude!

(I had to read the post to understand the question - in the UK, where I live, a solicitor is an attorney. I wondered what you had against us, and why we shouldn't be allowed business cards...)

I know, that one always makes me pause for a second as a Brit as well.  Now resisting the urge to start telling lawyer jokes  ;) ;)

Add me to the people saying definitely not rude.  Communicating and giving someone your card should a choice not an obligation. 
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
Just curious, how do you know they have no interest in being your client? 

Oh Joy

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
Sorry to confuse our UK friends - I actually look for opportunities to partner with local attorneys.  They're welcome to two cards each if they'd like!   ;D

Good question, Roe.  In short, we're in a pretty tight niche in our field and almost exclusively referral-based.  An 'off the street' match would be extremely rare, but if a solicitor...I mean 'peddler?'...asks about our services we will certainly answer them openly.

Thanks for your responses.

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
Not rude. From what you described, your office didn't sound like a place that was open to the general public like a retail business. If that's the case, it seems unlikely they would need to card to do anything other than pester you further. It would probably be fine for you to ask them why they even wanted it, if you desired.
Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
I'd be so tempted to make up some humorous faux business cards for just such ocassions... >:D

LilacRosey

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 12:23:51 AM »
I like it!, LilacRosey