Author Topic: Need "Firm but Nice" Wording Suggestions UPDATE 39  (Read 9042 times)

rashea

• Super Hero!
Re: Need "Firm but Nice" Wording Suggestions UPDATE 39
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »

Also I would have a chat with Lukas about throwing you under the bus! Sometimes the words just come out awkwardly, but maybe for the future you guys can practice what to say so you aren't subjected to calls from angry in-laws.

POD!

I think that's a bit of a warning sign that in the future you need to practice or something, because this is going to be a pain in the butt if it turns into a pattern. If it already is a pattern, I would recommend doing some work on it early in the marriage before it tanks your relationship with your In-laws.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Need "Firm but Nice" Wording Suggestions UPDATE 39
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:15 PM »

Also I would have a chat with Lukas about throwing you under the bus! Sometimes the words just come out awkwardly, but maybe for the future you guys can practice what to say so you aren't subjected to calls from angry in-laws.

POD!

I think that's a bit of a warning sign that in the future you need to practice or something, because this is going to be a pain in the butt if it turns into a pattern. If it already is a pattern, I would recommend doing some work on it early in the marriage before it tanks your relationship with your In-laws.

Let's be honest... if this is a pattern, she might want to re-think the wedding, or at least insist on some pre-marital counseling.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Need "Firm but Nice" Wording Suggestions
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
Snip
Marta apologised for making me feel that way and promised that she would have plans by Friday. Apparently she's waiting to hear if her mother-in-law "would prefer to have a party catered at home or would prefer to go out". I really think that it is unreasonable to make so many people wait just to satisfy a grandparent, and I think it shows that she is more interested in the scheduling of her family than of my family, but at least I know that I have been promised an answer by Friday. If on Friday I do not hear anything, then I will be disappointed that she has broken her word again and I will feel blameless in taking control of the event.

Oh goodness.  It sounds like this family believes in the oldest matriarch of the family has control.  If future MIL has been operating under the thumb of her MIL for a few decades, she is going to have a hard time adjusting to you not knuckling under too. 

Good for you starting to set the boundaries now.