Author Topic: How to prepare your son (or daughter) for the real world  (Read 4541 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: How to prepare your son (or daughter) for the real world
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
I cooked my first family meal at 21, when my mother was called out for an emergency.

I discovered that BIO-101 is very helpful when cleaning fresh mackeral for supper. You not only know what parts to remove, you can name them.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2012, 11:43:15 AM »
I cooked my first family meal at 21, when my mother was called out for an emergency.

I discovered that BIO-101 is very helpful when cleaning fresh mackeral for supper. You not only know what parts to remove, you can name them.

That's AWESOME. Love applications of 'esoteric' knowledge to everyday things - hence why Alton Brown is my kitchen god.

MissRose

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2012, 12:07:00 PM »
From a young age, my mom made sure me and my sister knew how to do the basic household chores including cooking.  Things started simple and progressed from there to the point where we knew how to prepare supper that had to be meat, potatoes and vegetable (or a pasta dish only like mac n cheese).   Also, we did help some with things like basic car repair/maintenance, cutting the grass, etc. 

I cannot sew beyond a button back in place or fix a small rip by hand.  My sister can do more than that and with a sewing machine.