Author Topic: freecycle question - followup thank you's  (Read 729 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
freecycle question - followup thank you's
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
I've gotten the occasional followup thank you from freecycle.  These are usually very rare, though.

I was gifted something yesterday and I am wondering if it's weird to follow up with a thank you.

Here's what happened:  I asked for a particular item, but did not intend to use it for it's original purpose (let's say using a lazy susan or record player as a pottery wheel).  I was offered one of this type of item and went to pick it up.  When I got home, I discovered that it wasn't quite what I needed.  It was a little flimsy.  So I left my request up and someone else offered me the same item, but made of wood.  I knew that would be perfect.  She lived in a townhouse, but neglected to mention that you could not access her unit from the street, so after driving around for 30ish minutes, I gave up and went home, emailed her thanking her for the offer, but explained I could not find the address.
She offered to drop it off to me, and did.  It must have been fairly late last night, as it was on my porch this morning.

It is so completely perfect for what I need it for, that I feel compelled to write a thank you.
I already wrote her a note this morning letting her know that I got the item and thanking her for dropping it off to me.  But that was before I used it.
It is so scratched up that it simply cannot serve it's original purpose.  However, this free little item is being used in place of a several-hundred-dollar item (and that's buying used).

Would it be weird to drop her a second note saying that I've actually used the item and that it is perfect and that I truly appreciate it?
Or is that just overkill?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: freecycle question - followup thank you's
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
I don't think so!

Go for it.

Positive connections like this are what builds our world up.

Trying to turn your interaction into something more (like offering to cat-sit for her, LOL) would be weird, but a thank-you on the same topic as the original "introduction" (the Freecycle exchange) is completely fine.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: freecycle question - followup thank you's
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 01:52:14 PM »
I'd be tickled to know my cast-away turned out to be perfect for someone else to use.  But I think I'd wait a couple of days to send your e-mail.  Maybe Sunday?  That way, it seems less enthusiastic over-the-top.

'Used the item you dropped off to do X.  It worked perfectly for what I needed.  Thanks, again.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario