A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Humor Me!

Lessons from a road trip across the US

(1/3) > >>

mmswm:
I'm just about at the halfway point of my road trip.  I thought I'd share some humorous and interesting insights I've gathered along the way.

1) The Pacific Northwest is gorgeous, in spite of the rain.
2) Try to time your drive so you don't drive through entire states in the dark.
3) Stop at the rest stop on the top of Tejon Pass. The view is like nothing you've ever seen.
3) When you get going again, hop over to I-15. Double bonus: you get to bypass the nasty traffic of LA, and the scenery along 15 is stunning. Also, on the way to San Diego, the most awesome bridge ever crosses the road.
4) The speed limit through huge chunks of Texas is 80mph
5) Driving 80mph is murder on your gas mileage.
6) Tumbleweed can get bigger than you'd imagine.
7) When driving 80mph and a gigantic tumbleweed hits your car, and it's dark, you might think a bomb just exploded.
8) Your 10 year old son will think it's the coolest thing ever and insist that he gets to keep the bits of tumbleweed that got stuck in your front grill.
9) According to the Texas DOT, Santa Claus is coming to town, so don't hit him (actual road sign on I-20).
10) If you turn California on it's side, it's still not as long as the width of Texas.
11) North Dakota is the only state that has free wifi in every rest stop. Texas claims to have wifi at one, but they lied.
12) There's a rest area a few miles west of the Arizona state line, where I-8 runs so close to the Mexican border that they have to squeeze the whole rest area in the median between the east and west bound lanes. There's only two lanes of traffic, so if you throw a rock, and you have a reasonably decent throwing arm, it would land in Mexico.

I'm stopping for a little while to visit with a friend in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, so I'll update when I get some more tidbits.  Also, there's huge chunks of the country I haven't covered, plus all the roads in other countries, so please feel free to add your own road trip insights!

snowfire:
When driving through the middle of Nevada, use the rest stops when you get a chance. When they say "Next rest area 100 miles", they MEAN IT!  There's an awful lot of nuthin' in the middle of Nevada & I'm not fond of doing the sagebrush shuffle on the side of the road.

Dr. F.:

--- Quote from: mmswm on December 14, 2012, 02:46:54 PM ---
3) When you get going again, hop over to I-15. Double bonus: you get to bypass the nasty traffic of LA, and the scenery along 15 is stunning. Also, on the way to San Diego, the most awesome bridge ever crosses the road.

--- End quote ---

The Rainbow bridge. No, really, that's what it's called. It's the turnoff to the formerly hippie community called Rainbow out there in the middle of nowhere. It's an awesome bridge.

http://www.rickphenicie.com/archives/591

mmswm:
That's the one!  It's so beautiful to look at while you're driving towards it.  It looks so high when you first spot it, and then you twist and turn for a bit, and climb a bit, and then you're under it.  It's such a beautiful bridge, and you get to look at it for quite some time.

lilfox:
If you're ever taking I-90 across the upper Midwest, the following things are worth the detour:
Devil's tower -cost us 3 hours or so, but come on, "it ... means something..."

Mt. Rushmore - it's a lot smaller than I thought it would be but very cool at dusk with the lights just coming on

The Badlands - crazy landscape

Yellowstone - plenty o' buffalo to see, up close and personal when they decide to take the road rather than a trail.  Also, it's a super volcano so you get that frisson of fear knowing the entire area could just sink into a pool of magma and steaming water.  Bits of it do, you know.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version