Author Topic: Dentist etiquette - should I jump ship?  (Read 6235 times)

blarg314

• Super Hero!
Re: Dentist etiquette - should I jump ship?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »

My dentist schedules time for emergencies.  You can either make an appointment in the afternoon and usually be seen within 20 minutes of your appointment time (at worst) or show up at 08.30 and wait with the other emergencies for a dentist who deliberately leaves his schedule free that morning.  You can sometimes end up waiting 2 or 3 hours, but you will be seen that day.

That sounds like  a reasonable policy.

If you've had good dealings with them in general, then I think it's worth calling and asking what their policy is regarding emergency visits. If it does turn out that they're so booked that it can take a month or more to get in for emergency treatment, then you've got a good reason to switch. If it was a mistake, they get a chance to correct the problem before they lose your business.

katycoo

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 04:33:35 AM »
I am very sympathetic for practices who elect not to accomodate emergency appointments where they have no current availability.  Because while its a very nice thing for the patient in need, it disrupts everyone elses appointments.  Ultimately I prefer knowing my time will be honoured, than turning up and aiting or being cancelled on.

As the person in need, you did the right thing.  Your dentist could not accomodate, you did not wish to wait, and you found an alternative solution.  Perfect.

How you travel forward from here is completely up to you.  You have no obligation to either dentist and you should contiue with who makes you feel most comfortable.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 06:02:21 AM »
Actually, I know dentists who will open early, stay late or even come in on days they are normally closed to help take care of emergencies.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
I chose my dentist precisely because of how they handle emergency appointments. A dentist who can't handle emergency appointments is no good to me. I can plan my regular visits and keep to them, but the time my crown comes off/my tooth breaks/I'm screaming in pain from gum infection/I just know there is an abscess under that tooth again is when I need my dentist most.

A dentist without emergency appointment handling is like a hospital without A+E.

RubyCat

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 09:04:36 AM »
I too, chose my dentist because of his availability.  I once found myself with in terrible pain and unable to get through to the dentist despite repeated calling.  The office was closed for two days and there was apparently no emergency coverage.  I tried to tough it out but could barely function.  Called a different dentist who saw me the same day.  Turns out I had an abscess the size of a dime.  I switched dentists right then and stayed with that dentist until I moved from the area.  It was an important lesson for me.  After the move, when I was looking for new doctors and dentists and veterinarians I was sure to ask what type of emergency coverage they have in place because, though I hope I never need it, it's very important to have in place.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »
I will add that there is ome responsibility on the part of patients as well.  There are emergerncies that spring up suddenly  at really bad times.  There are also patients that want to be seen on Christmas morning for their emergency - pain that they've been having for a week and decided the morning of the 25th they can not longer tolerate.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
I agree, Sharnita - that's why I wanted to get it taken care of before the holidays. Otherwise, I would be dollars to donuts it would flare up at the least convenient time.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
I once had a crown fall off on a SATURDAY.  My current dentist (who didn't put the crown on originally), opened up his office that very afternoon, just for me, to fix it.   He brought his daughter with him (for propiety, I'm sure), but just the fact that he opened the office for me!   And didn't charge a fortune, either.

Yes, you should leave your original dentist and change.  I'll add my POD to the others.  There *are* dental emergencies, frequently.

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
I'm going to have to go against the grain and say no. Yes, emergencies happen. I had one on Friday. However, because my regular dentist does not work on Friday, I saw one of his associates. His associate was wonderful and gave me the answers I needed.

Am I going to jump ship? No, because I like the associates he works with and they've been there for me before with various other emergencies (similar to LadyJaeinMD - one of the associates opened the office when a tooth cracked and she put on a temp crown, with her husband and baby in tow).

I think there's a lot of consideration that needs to be made before you say 'CRUD MONKEYS!! I must change dentists because mine couldn't see me for this problem!'
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
I'm going to have to go against the grain and say no. Yes, emergencies happen. I had one on Friday. However, because my regular dentist does not work on Friday, I saw one of his associates. His associate was wonderful and gave me the answers I needed.

Am I going to jump ship? No, because I like the associates he works with and they've been there for me before with various other emergencies (similar to LadyJaeinMD - one of the associates opened the office when a tooth cracked and she put on a temp crown, with her husband and baby in tow).

I think there's a lot of consideration that needs to be made before you say 'CRUD MONKEYS!! I must change dentists because mine couldn't see me for this problem!'

I think it's a completely different situation when the dentist isn't even in the office, but has backup personnel there to fill in when there is an emergency.

peaches

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 10:35:11 AM »
Actually, I know dentists who will open early, stay late or even come in on days they are normally closed to help take care of emergencies.

My dentist is like this. I know we can count on him in an emergency. I would not use a dentist who didn't have this attitude.

We take care of our teeth, we have regularly scheduled cleanings and care. But anyone can have a dental emergency. A tooth cracks, an old filling falls out, you are injured in a car wreck or in sports. That's a part of dental care IMO.

Back to the OP, no need to apologize to your old dentist for getting the care you needed. Who you will use in the future is up to you. Who do you feel most comfortable with?

ACBNYC

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 12:36:32 PM »

That's completely different--your dentist didn't tell you had to wait three weeks to be seen.

Mikayla

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »
I don't think anyone can say whether you should jump ship or not.  There's a lot to consider in doing that.  But if you've had no problems for 20 years with the current guy, I'd at least want to talk to him about why I was leaving.  It would be awful if it was a miscommunication of some sort between him and whoever told you no.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
Your original dentist does not provide a service that you are in need of.  The second dentist does.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 03:25:52 PM »
POD talking to the dentist directly before switching.  He may be unaware that you were told this.  It's possible that the scheduler/receptionist needs a better definition of what constitutes an emergency.