Author Topic: The Coworker Christmas Photo  (Read 5754 times)

penelope2017

Re: The Coworker Christmas Photo
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
Since it is a greeting card, I don't think a Thank You note is necessary from anyone.  And since it was given to your child, I don't think you should engage the principal. 

When you stated "artistic" I was imagining half naked.  But if fully clothed and you just don't like the composition of the photo, I'm not sure what you'd be reporting anyway.

Like I said, I wouldn't mention it to get the teacher in trouble but to give the director a heads up.  I know the parents at this school very well, and there is no doubt in my mind that a few of them have already given the director an earful.  Seriously, one of them reported a teacher because she had a window open.  Most parents are great, but there is a small contingent that are seriously uptight and would be very offended by something like this.

What do you think is specifically offensive about it? Embarrassing for her, I can see. But is she wearing something revealing? Posing suggestively?

LadyL

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 09:55:35 PM »
I think it's overly familiar/personal for a teacher to give students a picture of themselves (tasteful or not). Are they supposed to frame it and display it at home? Seems quite "off" to me assuming the teacher isn't also a family friend or something.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2012, 01:03:59 AM »
I'm going to make some assumptions here:

The photo was either part of a printed photo card, or glued to the inside of a regular card, rather than being just sitting loosely inside like a $5 bill inside a kid's birthday card. Incorporating rather than inserting it into the card is less, "Hey! Here's a picture of me! Just for you!" and more "Hey, here's a card with my picture in it!"

The photo was not suggestive. No cleavage, no gratuitous skin, no come-hither expression.

If both of these are true, then I'm guessing she was poking fun at herself -- here's Ms. Grouchy trying (with the decor and the "Joy" motif) but failing to get into the Christmas spirit -- and that the joke is aimed at the parents, not the kids. A poorly executed joke that the parents may not get, unless they know her Ms. Grouchy reputation first- or secondhand, but not report-worthy unless the photo's content is inappropriate.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

yokozbornak

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2012, 01:50:42 AM »
I'm going to make some assumptions here:

The photo was either part of a printed photo card, or glued to the inside of a regular card, rather than being just sitting loosely inside like a $5 bill inside a kid's birthday card. Incorporating rather than inserting it into the card is less, "Hey! Here's a picture of me! Just for you!" and more "Hey, here's a card with my picture in it!"

The photo was not suggestive. No cleavage, no gratuitous skin, no come-hither expression.

If both of these are true, then I'm guessing she was poking fun at herself -- here's Ms. Grouchy trying (with the decor and the "Joy" motif) but failing to get into the Christmas spirit -- and that the joke is aimed at the parents, not the kids. A poorly executed joke that the parents may not get, unless they know her Ms. Grouchy reputation first- or secondhand, but not report-worthy unless the photo's content is inappropriate.

Actually most of your assumptions are off. It was actually a loose photo inside the card, not a photo card.  Also, while the phoot was not suggestive in the traditional sense, the way she was posing and the fact that she was wrapped in tinsel could be seen as suggestive.  As I said, I didn't find it remotely offensive (just really funny!), but I can imagine that some parents would.  I also stated earlier that I am pretty certain that it was not done as a joke.  You will just have to trust me on that one.  Finally, the card was in DD's bookbag.  I am honestly not sure how the envelope was addressed to her or to us.