Author Topic: Inappropriate noise from neighbors  (Read 6791 times)

gollymolly2

Re: Inappropriate noise from neighbors
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »
I agree. Calling the police should be reserved for important situations. They are not adult-babysitters.

I also agree with Virg - sort out which of your comlaints are reasonable and calmly approach your neighbors about those issues.

Mr Wigglybones

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 05:13:36 AM »
Thanks all.

These are all new developments. I've been in this house for over a year and all the noise problems have started in the past few months(when they got the new dog and their daughter moved back in). For the most part I do not hear anything through this wall. Normal conversations cannot be heard. The only time I hear voices is when they are screaming at football games. Which is why being able to hear scrabble noises is not appropriate in my mind because the volume was extremely excessive. I will be banging on the wall the next time that occurs.

This past friday/weekend I didn't hear any early morning dog noise so they may have realized how much noise the dog was making or someone else complained. I will be approaching the Man and Wife(who own) about the dog noise if it continues.

The dog noise is so audible because our bedroom window overlooks their porch/backyard which means it pretty much sounds like the dog is in the room with me.

Don't bother.  It won't do any good.  Just call the cops or her parents (the homeowners) and let them deal with it.

Calling anyone at the moment won't stop the noise, but banging  on the wall will do just that.

Not necessarily.  I've known people to intentionally get louder in response to banging.

You would call the police on someone for having sex in their own home? Why? That would be a huge waste of time for the police and quite a silly call. Also, what exactly have we learned so far that would make you conclude that they are voyeurs?

Margo

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 07:37:56 AM »
If there are excessively loud noises then go around and complain at the time, if you possibly can.

Regarding the dogs - they are your neighbour's dogs - speak to them , not AD about leaving them out all day (I agree with the PP that your dog barking through the fence at them is your issue to solve).

If going round and speaking to AD at the time she makes excessive noise doesn't help, then at that point, speak to the neighbours to tell them that there have been problems with excessive noise, that you've spoken to AD and it hasn't helped, and can they please address the issue. I think it is irrelevant whether the noises are due to Ad having sex, or having arguments, or simply watching loud TV or playing music. The relevant issue is that it is excessively loud to the extent it is disturbing you.

MrTango

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
You would call the police on someone for having sex in their own home? Why? That would be a huge waste of time for the police and quite a silly call. Also, what exactly have we learned so far that would make you conclude that they are voyeurs?

I would call the police on someone for making noise loud enough that it wakes me up at 3:00am.  It wouldn't matter if they were playing scrabble, playing Scrabble, or giving a piano recital.

There are noise ordinances for a reason.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 09:35:59 AM »
I would call the police on someone for making noise loud enough that it wakes me up at 3:00am.  It wouldn't matter if they were playing scrabble, playing Scrabble, or giving a piano recital.

I still think the police would ask whether you first asked the culprits to quiet down.  Police have actual crime to deal with and I just don't think it is a good use of community resources to tattle on people who are a bit overzealous in their scrabble playing, for example.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
Do you have their telephone number? EvilTwik might call to chat whenever the scrabble noises get too loud.  >:D

EvenMoreEvilTwik might give them advice on the phone - "No, dear, he's doing it wrong. He really needs to...."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

BeagleMommy

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 12:19:17 PM »
Do you have their telephone number? EvilTwik might call to chat whenever the scrabble noises get too loud.  >:D

EvenMoreEvilTwik might give them advice on the phone - "No, dear, he's doing it wrong. He really needs to...."

Twik, Diet Dr. Pepper through ones nose really hurts!  Thanks for that!  ;D

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »

That was once and the OP says it hasn't happened again. The noises are now happening in the afternoon.

I would go over and tell the daughter that she is being loud and please quiet down. If I were the parents I would be surprised that you would go to me first instead of speaking to the adult that is actually causing the problem.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 12:32:53 PM »
I put my ear to the wall to confirm and hear what sounds like group scrabble going on next door.

Wait, what!?!? Why??

Maybe I'm just squeamish, but I wouldn't want to confirm! :-X lol!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I put my ear to the wall to confirm and hear what sounds like group scrabble going on next door.

Wait, what!?!? Why??

I think it's like smelling the month-old milk just to see if it's gone sour. You know you probably won't like what you find, but you just have to know.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
The first place that DH and I lived after we got married was a side-by-side duplex.

Our bedroom shared a common wall with the bedroom of the neighbors' DD's. We could hear talking, but it was no big deal. Months went by. I was pregnant (due in late Feb.) with our first child. In late Jan/early Feb, in the middle of the night, I heard a child call out suddenly, "MOMMY!!!!" I was up out of bed, and halfway to the nursery, before it occurred to me that I was still pregnant.  ::)

lynnetteleigh

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »

Wait, what!?!? Why??

I think it's like smelling the month-old milk just to see if it's gone sour. You know you probably won't like what you find, but you just have to know.

In my defense I was half asleep when I put my ear to the wall. I was still in panic mode and just wanted to confirm that it was coming from next door and not in my kitchen. Also when half asleep its surprisingly difficult to determine the emotion behind the screaming... :-[

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »
Also when half asleep its surprisingly difficult to determine the emotion behind the screaming... :-[

From living in apartments, I can say this is true. When muffled, the sounds of scrabble, fighting and reacting to a sudden-death goal in a playoff game are surprisingly similar.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
Thanks all.

These are all new developments. I've been in this house for over a year and all the noise problems have started in the past few months(when they got the new dog and their daughter moved back in). For the most part I do not hear anything through this wall. Normal conversations cannot be heard. The only time I hear voices is when they are screaming at football games. Which is why being able to hear scrabble noises is not appropriate in my mind because the volume was extremely excessive. I will be banging on the wall the next time that occurs.

This past friday/weekend I didn't hear any early morning dog noise so they may have realized how much noise the dog was making or someone else complained. I will be approaching the Man and Wife(who own) about the dog noise if it continues.

The dog noise is so audible because our bedroom window overlooks their porch/backyard which means it pretty much sounds like the dog is in the room with me.

Too bad it's been so long since Bo Derek starred in "10".

Because playing Bolero on the stereo whenever the "noises" started would get the message across to most people who remember seeing the movie.

Is there another possible tune - say a generation or so more recent - that might give the person the idea that "we hear what's going on - so here is a sound track to drown it out on our side of the wall but that YOU might find romantic"?

I suppose any music that's ever been played at the same point in a James Bond movie might make the same point...if they like James Bond movies...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

nuit93

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

I've had neighbors I was tempted to do that with...based on the sounds alone, I could tell the male was not a very considerate scrabble partner ;)